If you could have your S3 at any height table what would it be and why?

I see that a lot of you place your S3s at 38"-40" off ground level and I’m wondering… (ignoring the needs for storage and the like)… if you had a choice (for comfort) would you place your S3’s closer to 30" off the ground like a standard desktop computer height and wheel up a standard reclining chair vs. a counter height stool?

I think a little higher is better, since it makes leveraging stock into place and lifting large parts off the wasteboard a bit easier.

I have an XXL and my table is 4x4’. The height off the floor is 29" to the table top. I like this height because I have an office chair that I sit in and babysit my machine. From this seated position I can reach a good bit of my table area and if standing I can reach the back. I am 5’ 10" so if you are taller or shorter you may want to adjust the height.

Since you spend a lot of time babysitting the machine I want to be comfortable and have the router at a height I can change bits and so on easily.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking… I just spent a while sitting on a Toledo stool with my S3 at counter height (~38”) and my neck kills!

I’m a stander. Mine is about 38" and if I was to do it again, I’d go with 44". I prefer reaching to bending.
I’m 6’2".

2 Likes

41" to table top.
Started lower but raised it to make changing the bit easier.

1 Like

My drafting table is at 37" and S3 is at 47". I am 5’10". I can sit on the high stool or stand.

1 Like

I just measured my table for my XXL and its 44", which means the wasteboard/bed is just shy of 48". I was going to say that when i place large stock its very difficult to reach across the bed to lift or place/remove clamps, and I am 6’2". However after thinking about this more and reading other posts in this thread I never really considered how easy it is to swap bits in the router from my normal standing position. If i had to hunch over or bend down to swap bits , well, I would get annoyed really quickly as I have back problems. Also as mentioned by @neilferreri I would much rather reach than bend. So I now realize there are both pros and cons to this height.

2 Likes

I’m also 6’2” and my table is just above my waist. It just makes everything easier. With tool boxes underneath and 4- 500 LB casters I can roll it out toward the center of the shop to work with larger pieces since I can access all sides of it. I keep the MacBook Pro in one of the tool drawers that is modified to the controls and allows me to sit when babysitting or designing on Carbide Create. Controls on left side and clamps, bits and tools on the right side.
I’ll includes some images. I really think a higher work bench is better, as a few others have mentioned here.
Also some of my other work benches are higher than this S3 bench!

3 Likes

It is good to get multiple opinions but in the end you must make it your own. I am 65 years old and would rather sit at my Shapeoko. If when I was 35 I would have preferred to stand. So when evaluating what others like or dislike consider what your height is and your preference for sitting or standing. In the above picture the tool boxes are pretty close to the front of the Shapeoko. That would not be comfortable for me so I have a little knee room under the front of my table so I can sit and reach most of my spoil board. In the newest versions of CM you have the router at the front of the table a lot. I have both the touch probe and the bit setter. In the newer work flows you are at the front of the table a lot. So if you prefer to sit then you need leg room. If you prefer to stand then only toe room is needed. So sit down and decide what position is best for the way you work. How someone else works is irrelevant to how you will work. Others advise is relevant to the extent that you adsorb why and how they position their machine and then decide what you want.

3 Likes

I’m 35 and feel 65. I’ll be going with the ~30” option.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.