In need of technical help

I have had my shapeoko 5 pro for about 2 months now, getting much better with the carbide create/motion and had alot of success… until today.

When starting my project I set the x/y/z zero location as usual. My machine has a bit setter that I utilize. When i started the project the machine jogged to the x/y and the z dropped all the way down and into my cutting surface through a .75 inch piece of wood and probably another .5 inches below the material. I immediately hit the emergency stop (after it cut into the aluminum that holds the waste boards) and checked all my settings.

in carbidecreate my 0 location was “at the top” and “bottom left”. in addition to the setup all the settings for the material being cut is correct. I then went to the tool paths and all tool paths were correct.

I thought maybe something just didnt go right so I took it upon myself to restart my computer, shut down the shapeoko machine, and do a simple test circle on some waste wood.

I set up everything as normal, taking my time. Initialize the machine and everything seems fine, and then run the job. bit setter does its thing, the machine jogs to the x/y, this time I am standing by the emergency stop switch, and the machine cuts all the way through again. I hit the e-stop and shut it down for the night.

Anyone have any suggestions?

i forgot to add, I also disabled bit setter to see if maybe that was the problem, ran the test circle job again and it did the same thing.

test circle.c2d (44 KB)

Please see:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/unexpected-z-axis-plunges/

Where are you positioning the BitZero?

See:

Post a photo showing where the machine is at zero?

I dont have a bit zero, i set my x/y/z manually by jogging the machine into position and zeroing them out in carbide motion

When you jog your bit to touch the top of the material, does the position show zero, or very close to zero?

In my experience most of the time when the bit plunges that far, it has been a breach in the BitSetter protocol. If you deviate from what it expects, it can plunge hard. Give this a look:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/unexpected-z-axis-plunges/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.