Inaccurate cut depth

I’m just trying to get started with my Shapeoko 4, and I’ve got a problem with some cuts going deeper than their toolpath settings. Eventually I set up a simple test project with 3 contour paths, no tool changes.

Toolpath settings (mm): … Actual depth:
Contour 1: Max depth 6 … 9.9
Contour 2: Max depth 8 … 12.9
Contour 3: Max depth 10 … 16.3

So I’m getting an error of about 63% – kind of unacceptable. I’m sending this query to tech support, but I thought I’d post it here as well. Since this renders my machine essentially useless, I’m anxious to get it resolved.

Do you have a Z-Plus Z-axis?

Did you configure for an HDZ?

If you set the origin at the surface of the stock and jog up 1 inch how much does the machine move?

Do you have a Z-Plus Z-axis?
Don’t know what that means.

Did you configure for an HDZ?
I believe so.

If you set the origin at the surface of the stock and jog up 1 inch how much does the machine move?
I jogged 26mm up from z-0 and it moved up 41mm – so again, plus ~63%.

You have a Z-Plus, but have configured for an HDZ.

Reconfigure for a Z-Plus:

https://my.carbide3d.com/docs/shapeoko-setup/

Yup; based on the hint in your first response, I’ve just been going through the “setup new machine” wizard again. Setting it to Z-Plus has fixed it, so thanks a million for that.

The drawings in the setup wizard that show the near-microscopic differences between a Z-Plus and HDZ configuration are essentially useless. In the interest of customers and poor souls like yourself who have to answer questions like this, Carbide really should provide a better way to let customers know which configuration they have.

The reason for the depth issue is a Z-plus has less steps per mm than an HDZ. So telling the machine it was an HDZ when it was a Z-plus the gcode commands were sending more steps and that made your depth deeper.

You are not the first person to pick the wrong Z and you wont be the last one.