Incoming power 110v/220v?

Ok gang,
Be gentle this is the first post here and I have a really dumb question/clarification. On the specs for the Shapeoko 5 Pro it mentions that power is auto switching between 110v and 220v. I am presuming this means for different power availability in different countries, is this correct? Or does the machine have the capability to be re-wired to run 220v U.S.A. power?

Thanks,
Keith

Correct. It means the power supply will auto-switch between 110 in the U.S. other places which use that and 220V residential (with a single hot) in Europe and other places which use that.

See:

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/will-shapeoko-nomad-work-with-220-volts/

220V w/ two hot wires such as would be used for an oven or a welder would be required for a high power spindle such as the 220V one on our Shapeoko HDM, and presumably the 80mm unit which is under development for the SO5 Pro.

1 Like

Almost all power supply bricks now adays have the auto switch. So here in the US you get a 120V cord and over in Europe you get the same brick and a power plug that switches from 120VAC to 220VAC automatically.

Most of the machine runs on internal DC voltage. So the power coming in is stepped down to the logic signals it needs.

I replaced a lot of PC power supplies back in the day that were set to 120VAC and a computer room would hook them up to 220VAC and would let the magic smoke out of the power supply. Those are the reasons most modern power supplies auto switch. The circuitry inside the power supplies has become an industry standard. On top of that the OEM only needs to make one power supply and can go almost any where in the world.

1 Like