Inconsistent Cuts In Aluminum

That is extremely unlikely. If you have verified that everything is correct in Aspire or Carbide Create (more than once), problems like this are almost always mechanical. Either something is mechanically wrong with the machine or the calibration is off. Electronics tend to fail all the way or not at all. Verify that you correctly followed that calibration guide. Go over the whole list of mechanical things to check again regardless of how many times you have done it. Go slow and assume nothing which is pretty hard to do. Make sure you donā€™t have any split or flattened v-wheels, the belts are all properly and equally tensioned with no missing teeth or overstretched/worn sections and check all the set screws again. I cut tons of aluminum on my stock S3 and it can totally do what you are trying to do.

Are the belts in good condition?

Power down, remove the belt, inspect it, if itā€™s okay, swap it end-for-end.

Iā€™ve spent from 7 am til 1:30 disassembling the machine, inspecting everything and replaced the X & Z belts.

I guess Iā€™m getting too old, because I didnā€™t look for the obvious (the belt) yā€™all suggested. I feel stupid wasting all your time. It functions repeatedly now. I sincerely thank all of you for you patience and expertise.

7 Likes

I am also getting old, just incase you felt alone in that journey :). Can you please post a picture of the worn belts - I ask because it would help me to know if I have that problem too and to know when to change them. Thank you in advance, and congrats on fixing it in the end!

I unfortunately trashed them as soon as I saw them. Definitely showed degradation in the teeth. Also noted that the z-axis plate loosened over time during my cuts. They were not aggressive cuts but I had to stop the program and check the tightness of the v wheels several times. Sorry I couldnā€™t provide a photo

No worries - thanks for replying. I have a lot of backlash on the X axis wondering if it is my belts. Low usage, so i donā€™t suspect it. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.