Increase or decrease cut depth

I would like to see a command that allows you to add or subtract cut depth (Z) during a cut. Sometimes I feel I need another pass for a clean cutout other times I would like to reduce cut depth. On a project with multiple toolpaths I might not want to stop the project to update the cut depth.

3 Likes

Steven,

Worthy requests but likely impossible for most of them. Planning is the key to any successful project. Making decisions on the fly can lead to unexpected results. Likely the software required to change dimensions on the fly would be so complicated most computers could not run it. Carbide Motion is a light combination of CAM and gcode sender. So CM is like a smart kid but no Albert Einstein. The real smarts are in Carbide Create.

My question is what would be prompting the changes to your projects on the fly?

I understand that for user may or may not like to make changes on the fly. Several times my cutouts don’t completely cutout the part out even when measuring the stock thickness with calipers. I notice a 0.033" difference in my stock thickness versus cutout depth. Meaning my 0.755" MDF really needs 0.788" for cutout. I made a new waste board and flattened it. I have a bitzero and bitsetter. I end up having to rerun my program with new depth setting and disabled toolpaths to complete the cutout. If I can tell the cutout is not complete during the last pass then I could click on a button for another pass around the toolpath at the bits proper depth per pass. Nice logo btw - AR bolt?

Start using bottom of material for projects that cut through. I replaced my spoilboard on Oct 22 and the only marks on it are from my mistakes. For projects that do not cut through I still use top.

I move BitZero off project and zero on spoilboard and get nearly perfect cut through without having to cut again or cut through to spoilboard.

Perhaps you need to calibrate your z for steps per mm.

1 Like

@gdon_2003 what do you set as your max depth for through cuts when you zero to the bottom. If you use material thickness (t) then it seems like your measurement for material thickness would be just as critical as if you zero on top.

All good suggestions. I’ll try the zero on the spoil board and go from there. Thanks.

I generally use “t”. It does not matter if you use top or bottom the stock measurement always needs to be accurate. Most 3/4 material is never .75". By using bottom I never leave an onion skin or cut up my spoilboard. I use Painters tape and super glue so I design with stock height but once mounted I measure and update CC and save.

2 Likes

Even after flattening I get somewhat different measurements with my calipers in different spots of the material. It’s not off by a lot, usually a hundredth of an inch or so. Probably within the tolerances of my cheapish calipers. Too bad the better ones cost a LOT more.

So, I typically split the difference on the thickness measurements but I have occasionally left some marks on the board. I was hoping that zeroing on the bottom would create some magical situation where the bit knows not to go below zero.

Next time I lube Z I will retram and resurface and pay more attention.

I guess I could use bit zero on the material and then on the board and take the difference as the material thickness but that takes more time and my CC computer is upstairs from the machine so I have to do extra legwork. I will try it though next time and see how it goes.

The way I achieve what I believe you want is:

• set the origin in the Carbide Create file to Top
  • measure the stock to the best possible average
  • set the origin at the surface of the MDF
  • jog up by the measured average thickness
  • set zero at that point

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.