Inexperienced with McFly Cutter

I haven’t used the McFly Cutter before. I plan to use it on some thin plastics (~0.090" thick). I would like to give the plastic a nice finish to remove any scratches and whatnot, but I don’t know how to select the McFly Cutter, since I don’t see it on the Carbine Create v5. Can anyone help?

The specifications are listed on the product page:

Cutting Diameter: 1" (25.4mm)
Cutting Length: 0.39

Depth per pass: 0.02"
RPM: 16,000
Feedrate: 60 in/min

How will you be holding your stock? I’d worry about this pulling it up.

I plan to use either double-sided tape or use the painters tape glued together with super glue.

So I guess just make a new tool in the software? I copied the specs from the Shapeoko website, but I Don’t know what to put for the Plungerate in the 2D section. Plus, what’s standard for the 3D speeds and feeds?

Plunge rate is usually half (or 1/4 for harder materals) of the feed rate.

You won’t be using this tool for 3D, so I’d set them to large/small values which would make it obvious that you won’t want to use it for that.

Understood, I just made a new library and a new “end mill” but with the 2D cutting Parameters. Not sure if I can change the number of flutes or whatnot, but I don’t think it matters.

In order to change # of flutes you will need to edit the underlying .csv file — you can access it by About | Carbide Create | Open Data Directory in the tools directory in the Carbide Create directory.

1 Like

number of flutes is just cosmetic, it’s not used for any calculations or gcode parameters or anything…

1 Like

Gotcha, I’m not gonna bother with it then. Not sure why the company doesn’t have a surface finishing mill already in their software’s library, but whatever.

1 Like

Sure the mcfly will be in next version or two. The new products are not updated on sw as fast as the sales sell them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.