Inlay cutting board with SPE Tapered Angle Ball Nose bits

I have a SpeTool CA W01012 CNC 2D and 3D Carving 3.02 Deg Tapered Angle Ball Nose 1.5mm Radius x 1/4" Shank x 1-1/4" Cutting Length x 3" Long 2 Flute SC TiAlN Coated Upcut Router Bit.

I downloaded the SPE Tool Carbide create database file. SpeTool Tool File Database

I created an inlay job. The result is not what the simulation show. It is removing more wood than it is suppose to do. Here is the config in CC for the Tools.

Anybody know where the problem is? For now my only theory is that SPE is not providing the right information in CC.
How would you setup a tapered angle ball 3 degre bits in CC?

1 Like

This kind of geometry isn’t really supported by CC. The only tapered bits it supports are V Bits, and CC assumes they come to a point when calculating depths.

If you use a TBN where CC expects to see a VBit, then everything will be over-cut, since a TBN at a given depth of cut is wider than a VBit at the same depth.

1 Like

The only option for TBM is to make a custom tool and tell CC it is a ball end mill and not a TBM. CC does not understand TBM. using it as a ball mill be careful that the tapered part does not cut something above where it is cutting. Something like a topographical map where you have things higher up that could contact the side edge of the TBM. C3D has come a long way but not quite far enough. You have to admit that for free it is pretty robust. They have been steadily improving since I started with version 3. Version 7 is heads and shoulders above v3.

2 Likes

Here is the link to the bits and an image.

1st, your tool has an included angle of 6.04°
To program this in CC, you need to do some math & offsetting.
Advanced V-Carve only works with Vee tools, so enter your cutter as a 6° Vee
Round off all sharp corners on your design by the radius of the tool (1.5mm)
For the female, offset the design inward by the radius of the tool plus the taper (3°) at the depth you will cut. (For a 5mm pocket with that tool, the offset would be 1.685mm)
For the male, offset the design outward by the same amount.

I like to model a section view to visualize the math.

2 Likes

Check out the nice work from Broinwood on YouTube. He uses bits like this for his endgrain boards. I don’t know which software he uses.

I follow Broinwood and yes he use those bits but never give detail on how he proceed.

I don’t see anywhere how to config those bits.

I have used them as regular ball nose before but as @Tod1d said, for this application if you are using CC then call them a 6 degree V bit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.