Inlay issue, can't figure out one detail

I’m making this inlay and can not figure out how to not lose the eye of the deer in the male plug.
I have start and max depths that have worked well for me in the past. but as soon as I put in my start depth, the eyeball gets tooled away.

stag inlay male.c2d (424 KB)

Here is a pic of it in wood. Unfortunately I didn’t catch it in the preview before cutting.

Not sure why, but if you break it into 2 toolpaths it works.

Is there an overlap/intersection on the right?

here it is zoomed in?

other than changing the start depth, I can not figure it out.

Tod did you add a line or something to break into another toolpath?

Yes, I overlapped them like this

I’m not sure what I’m looking at. Did you move the offset contour line? or add a line? Won’t it create an issue with the rest of the cut?

Will I don’t see any overlap that would cause an issue. Oddly it works with a start depth of .03 but if I change the start depth any deeper it ignores the eye contour with the pocket toolpath, it looks like the v bit toolpath still recognizes it. Am I missing something?

Hi Mark, I selected the group then edited the toolpath selecting change vectors then use current selection and it worked with the original start depth of 0.090".

Lester but will it work on the inverse of that? That is how my workflow is setup. Let me know, I’m still struggling with it. I already cut the pocket in walnut and hope to figure it out :crossed_fingers::smile: thanks for any help!

By inverse, I mean I need the deer to be the male plug not the pocket. Thanks again for the help

Changed the clearing bit to 1/4" and it calculated correctly.

Interesting, I will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!
I still wonder why :man_shrugging:

Guess we’ll chalk it up to a glitch in the matrix :man_shrugging:

Definitely PFM. Exported the SVG to V-carve Pro and it handled it correctly regardless of tooling.

1 Like