Inlay Mode / Cutting Help

Testing out inlay with the inlay mode feature. Trying to get this under me in MDF before going to hardwood. Everything else cut well and fit well, except for this M. The male piece has rounded inside corners, but the female has sharp points.

Cut with 1/4" downcut for the pocket and 45 degree V bit. Not sure if going to 1/8" will be any better as I thought the V bit would take care of that. I’ll have to scour over the simulation a bit more, but if anyone has some quick thoughts, it’d be much appreciated.

Thank you

My success with inlay has been with:

• 60 degree tooling
  • shallower pockets/inlays

Thank you. This was .25"

Ideally looking to inlay some cutting boards in the future.

Can you share that file? It should work if the settings are right. It looks to me like the male is bigger than the female.

If you can’t share it, what are the Start, Max, Bottom Gap settings for both male & female??

WI Board TEST Inlay.c2d (156 KB)

Yea, I’m seeing in the file that the female portion, the bit is rounding the corner and the V bit isn’t showing it’s cleaning it up. Hmm. Changing to 1/8" didn’t seem to do much either.

The male part is in inside corner and only a shallow (15 Degree or so) vee bit will make that go away. If using an end mill and inside corner is always the radius of the end mill. Outside corners can get sharp corners but never inside corners even with rest machining. It only gets less round with rest machining.

IT’s a bug with the Inlay Feature. The corners are not getting picked out

Should look like…

Try these settings

2 Likes

Thank you sir, I’ll give that a go later today!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.