Inlays created with Carbide Create

Wondering what others see as best method for doing inlays with CC. I’ve watched AE Timber and Cyber reef guru vids and like them both but each leave me guessing. The AE Timber video pocket is shallow. The CRG vid doesn’t use mirroring of image. What’s the best source of training in your opinion. I’d love to master this…

Search the forum, lots of great ideas. YouTube is great also. MDF for practice.

I have had sucess with female pocket at .20". The male start depth at .1" and depth at .20". The reason for male start depth at .1 is it makes the male plug slightly smaller than female socket so male plug seats well. If you start male plug at 0 the plug will not go in very far to female socket.

2 Likes

Here is an example of several vcarve male plugs and the effect of different start levels and sizes.

5 Likes

While CC has changed a lot since then, you may find this inlay tutorial useful:

2 Likes

You can make the depth anything you want. To make the inlay fit snug, you need a gap above & below.
But the dimensions are all up to you, and can change from job to job. If you have a thinner stock, or an inlay with small details. the dimensions will be smaller.

Once you understand the concept, it’s pretty easy to make the adjustments to the sizes.

The Fenrus tutorial that Julien linked to, particularly post 5 (Using "Advanced VCarve" in Carbide Create 461 to make Inlays - #5 by fenrus) will help you understand the concept.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.