Inlays dont match

I seem to have a brainlock regarding inlays. Trying to inlay Japanese Symbols. I setup the male and females toolpaths using advanced vcarve(60) with pocket(1/8). The male lugp has a flat bottom while the female cutout has a v bottom and does not seem wide enough as the male barely fits in. Thanks in advance. Brian

Post the files you are having trouble with?

I just updated this to include the new Inlay Mode. You can use Inlay Mode, OR set the start depth on the male to control where the vector gets traced.

If you have some really narrow sections of your design, and the female has a sharp bottom, then the male should have a sharp top to match. You may need to sand the male tops a bit to allow for compression & glue gap.

2 Likes

J MALE INLAY.c2d (861.8 KB)
jAPN FEMALE INLAY.c2d (669.8 KB)

Thanks but i havent mastered vcarve yet. Still plugging along with CC ,no inlay mode.

Why not use “Inlay Mode”?

Looks like you’re controlling the depth with an offset. 0.050" at 30° (Half of your 60° tool) would be 0.087" depth.

I measure the narrowest part of that shape at about 0.196, which would make the female 0.170 deep at that point. So you will have a sharp bottom on parts of the female.

Try starting out with 0.0 Start & 0.150 max depth on both sides. Use the Inlay Mode on the male side & set your bottom gap to about 0.020 or 0.030. And use the same vector for both sides.

2 Likes

Thanks Will tried the download but the page says no beta available,
Downloaded Carbide motion but will not connect to my 1finity

inlay mode not in my cc

Since that was released, the stable release has been updated to have the inlay mode:

Im having some what of the same issues. I carved my female inlay with advanced v carve with a 1/8 downcut and a 30° v bit. I mirrored my project and followed the tutorials from when the inlay mode was released. I drew a box around my mirrored male inlay and made another advanced v carve with inlay mode turned on and a glue gap of .02. The carving came out very loose so i measured my male and female cuts. The bottom of my female would match the (top if inserted into the female) bottom of the male plug. I tried different start depths, with and without glue gaps, but each time i got the same results. The only time i got a tight fit is when I enlarged the male plug the difference from the bottom (top) of the male with the difference from the bottom of the female pocket. I got a tight fit but the finner details in the male plug such as the sail lines and poles were still .04 inch to narrow and were being chipped away.

The depth if both female and male inlays were 1/8inch (.125)

Hi Will
When i tried to cut the male inlay with pocket i am not able to switch bits . Also during pocketing it stops, need to tap start again.
Brian

Hi Scott
Does the advanced v carve allow bit changes between the pocket(1/8 bit) and the 60 v bit . I must run the adv vcarve pocket then redo with the pocket off.
cheers Brian

Hi Will sorry to be a pest . Now with the 764 it only shows “save toolpaths” and will not go the " save gcode"

You need a BitSetter or similar mechanism for handling tool changes.

In 764 to write out G-code you’ll need a Pro license.

So im back to square one without upgrading to pro? Was the advanced vcarve changed , or am i doing something wrong as i did very nice inlays before.
cheers Brian

See:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/carbide-create-v7/

A user here on the forum, fenrus, had a github application that would turn an advanced vcarve into two tool paths. When the advanced vcarve first came out some people did not have a BitSetter so he developed his app to take a single tool path and make two. Since this was some time ago you will have to search and find the github address and if a c2d file will work or only gcode tool path.

If the app only takes gcode then you will need to download v6 CC and that can make gcode files for your tool paths.

i am going to try two toolpaths one with pocket enabled and abort when pocket is done and then a second toolpath with pocket disabled.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.