Installing a Sweepy

@GJM lol, I didn’t realize I had the clamp on backwards until your post. Thanks.

Also, since the lock washers are out of tension when the clamp is open the screws can vibrate out. Once I’m happy with adjustment I put a drop of wicking loctite on them.

1 Like

Either way is fine — I prefer the more compact layout since it’s less likely to get disturbed.

Thanks William,a new version is planned,I also have fused about a quarter of a ring of the brushes by the router plunging into the work piece to the collet and burning along its length of cut and fusing the brushes,I only left the machine for no more than a minute,you can see how a fire would start

@Luke Since you bright the topic up, could you tell me the size of these lock washers, as I lost one of them ages ago (the screws come undone occasionally with repeated use from vibration like @Griff mentions)

M4 lock washers and 20 characters

2 Likes

I adjust mine to be above the workpiece thus preventing the bristles from possibly getting caught in the bit. It also stops the bristles from “crimping” over. As the bit lowers into the part, at finish I hope to be at the top of my part.

Read a post on Facebook where someone had pushed the sweepy down to the part causing the bristles to get caught in the bit… Major damage ensued

Good Luck

This is a little scary. I changed from a SuckIt which mounted on the chassis. I assumed, since Carbide opted not to mount on the chassis - despite several discussions requesting a chassis mount, that they had conquered the crush problem somehow - or that the problem didn’t really exist.

Starting above the workpiece and ending on it sounds like a recipe for a dusty table. With the SuckIt mount, you rested the bristle snugly on the workpiece and that’s where they stayed from beginning to end of the job - the table saw very little dust.

I haven’t used my Sweepy on many jobs…I haven’t hollowed out containers or done any deep work, yet…but I will.

@WillAdams @Luke @robgrz Does Carbide recommend using the Sweepy for deep jobs (e.g., hollowing with a 1.25" cutting length bit)? If so, do you recommend starting at the surface and allowing the plunge the entire way with the cut?

• Gary
1 Like

I find when cutting deep pockets the thing which works best for me is to start w/ the Sweepy set at the surface, then to adjust it down as much as the stock thickness and part features and Workholding will allow as the cut progresses — for some deep/narrow pockets I’ve found it necessary to completely remove it to complete the cut — I just put on a filter mask and run the vacuum at the edge of the machine working area (do not put anything into the machine’s working area while it’s running), then vacuum everything up once it’s all done.

Usually though, such parts get done on a Nomad, which is better suited to that sort of thing.

I Saw Will’s comment about starting at the surface. For those running the unit in an area where dust could be a problem, that should help

Starting a bit above has not produced a dusty table. (running a dust collector)

1 Like

Yes that is the way to do it,I have the version 1 which is fixed so version 2 should be a big improvement.Well I tried our Meile vacuum on the cyclone yesterday,well it is a lot quieter and ample vacuum so I will get some fittings and use it!!!

I had the same problem due to vibrations from an unbalanced router. (Google translation)
“J’ai eu le même problème suite aux vibrations d’un routeur mal équilibré.”

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.