Installing a VFD Spindel on Shapeoko 4 XXL

Hello everyone,

I bought the Shapeoko 4 XXL with standard router 2 years ago.

I’m wondering if I can install the VFD spindle kit on this machine. I am looking to improve the productivity of my machine (and limit noise).

I saw on the Carbide3D website that the VFD Spindle Kit is compatible with the shapeoko 4 XXL. But I’m a little worried about the price and I don’t want to find out that it doesn’t give the desired result.

If any of you have already carried out this installation, I would like to have some feedback.

Thank you and happy CNC!

Jean-Laurent

The SO4 (and Pro) controller has a BitRunner connector, so a VFD will just plug in.

The SO4 has a default 65mm mount which matches the diameter of the VFD so it will just drop in.

Just enable in the Setup Wizard:

https://my.carbide3d.com/docs/shapeoko-setup/

Thank you for the quick answer, Will…

Do you know il the bitrunner V2 will work with the VFD ?

J-L

No, the BitRunner and VFD both use the same connector, so are redundant.

If you need to turn something else on, say a vacuum, see:

https://my.carbide3d.com/faq/controlling-a-vacuum-with-your-shapeoko/

I already have something to manage the vacuum power. I was wondering if I should keep the Bitrunner V2.0 to start/stop the spindle itself.

But I red somewhere that the speed of the VFD is directly managed by Carbide Motion. So, does Carbide Motion also manage the start/stop of the VFD ?

JL

Yes, the VFD spindle is completely controlled (on/off, and speed) by the BitRunner cable/connector.

1 Like

Wow… Really impressive…

Did you install it on you own machine ? And what kind of performance increase should I expect ?

I don’t have one (I suppose if I asked I could get one), since I am currently rocking:

which I bought back before the VFD spindle was available from Carbide 3D and mostly because I do a lot of test cuts and there were days when it felt as if I was spending more time wrenching than the machine was cutting.

Thank you for your help Will. Really appreciated.

I think I will run the chance…

JL