Introducing HDZ 4.0

This looks like a beautiful beast. Now I might need to find a way to exchange my HDZ for one of these new guys :slight_smile:

Question: will the inductive switches eventually be compatible with existing HDZs?

Related question: do the inductive switches help reduce drift if the machine needs to be reset and recalibrated in the middle of a job (such as after a static-related disconnect)?

I guess I am trying to figure out just how much additional value and fine-tuned consistency those new switches actually offer.

Taking any pre-order?

Hey…let those of us who can’t even get an HDZ have a crack at one!

2 Likes

I cut a simple bracket to mount an inductive homing switch (shipped to me by mistake) to my HDZ — just a small plate w/ a rebate, a stud, a countersunk hole for an M3 machine screw and holes and recesses for a pair of M3 nuts — we’ll have an upgrade kit with the nicer injection-molded parts @robgrz mentioned.

2 Likes

@i3oilermaker - once we’re close to having it ready, we’ll put the product page up with a “Notify Me” button.

@Luke would be better to ask about this but one way or another, we’ll have an option for existing HDZ’s

This is a question with many strong opinions. Personally, my opinion is this- they’re more durable but not otherwise better. If the mechanical switches are working then there’s not a big need to upgrade. I think many of the problems we had with the mechanical switches were bracket related.

Probably not. We don’t want to promise anything until we’re absolutely ready and at that point, we’re probably ready to ship anyway.

6 Likes

The proximity switch kit has options which should be compatible with all Z axis, Original, HDZ (all versions), Z Plus etc… This makes it a retrofit option for all users if wanted. We have tried to make it really nice (also affordable - pricing will be announced soon when we are able to offer them).

7 Likes

The double sided tape and bit of rubber is working well for me so far as a “soft hard stop” to keep my legacy limit switch in one piece.

1 Like

Dang! I really don’t have any real ‘need’ for it, but boy do I want that upgrade!
I do think the proximity switches are a nice update too… Fewer moving parts usually means greater reliability!

It’s great you are improving all the time. But can we get some z plus in stock for those of use who have been waiting for months.

The Shapeoko team is building extra inventory of Z-Plus units each day to get enough ready for a launch.

Hopefully we’ll be ready to put the Z-Plus in stock in the same time time frame as the HDZ.

8 Likes

I imagine that there are more than a handful of people that just jump on the HDZs because they’re available when if given the option they may have gone the Z-plus route. That contributes to the feeding frenzy when those HDZ e-mails get sent out.

Being an over-thinker, it certainly made my decision making easier.

2 Likes

I have the z plus and I haven’t really felt the need for more just yet but I am just scratching the surface of this machine. Eventually I want to machine aluminum and I believe that is when I will find the limits of the z plus but so far I am loving the z plus. That doesn’t mean I still don’t want one of these beauties!

3 Likes

Rob,

Will the new homing switches be available soon?

We probably need our switch vendor to get fully caught up on the outstanding PO’s that we’ll be able to offer enough kits so that we don’t run out immediately.

We’ll be able to estimate the date better in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Any plans for the current owners of previous versions of HDZ to update their units to Ver 4.0? Can the older units be sent to be upgraded for a reasonable fee?
I’d like to add that I’m very happy with my HDZ and I never had any issues since I got it, and please note that I got the original Blue HDZ.

I’m afraid it can’t be done. Almost every part other than the EZTram and front plate has a minor change.

4 Likes

Any update on when the HDZ will become available? I look every morning even though I’m signed up for email. LOL

We’re hoping for Monday or Tuesday.

4 Likes

Thanks. I hope I can get one before they sell out

Information is in the thread.

Edit: I see I’m too slow.