Introducing the Carbide 3D Print Library

Oh thank gawd! I actually hate the trays where folks store router bits and end mills vertical!

Another mod which conceptually is super simple that I’ve been trying out lately and so far so good. It’s a bolt lock for the sweepy screws and once properly adjusted pretty much keeps them in place and stops them from becoming loose overtime and having sweepy slide out of position. Basically you need to clock the screws in the correct alignment and this cap/lock is friction fit onto the bolt heads and the hex inside is what locks the bolts in place.

Sweepy Bolt Lock.stl (69.0 KB)

17 Likes

It’s something we’re looking at, but we need to have a chat about it in more detail first.

4 Likes

I will definitely print one of these in PETG. My Sweepy screws loosen routinely

And now to take them to the next level: Make all the storage pieces Gridfinity compatible. Can’t wait to get home and print all these out in Bambu Green.

Not sure about Gridfinity compatibility, but there is an underlying 25mm grid for the storage units (my OCD demanded I ask after that already). That said, I did already just pitch mine in a plastic storage organizer:

(the square ones — I wish the rectangular ones can in a front–back divider design)

though maybe a foam insert would be better, or maybe I’ll try cutting out the holder in some HDPE.

EDIT: Actually, the 8 clamps fit perfectly in:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the Library,I have had the local library print a holder for me using their Prusa.I am very impressed.Thanks so much Luke.

5 Likes

It blows my mind that libraries have 3d printers. I think that is super cool!

7 Likes

I’m brand new here but I designed and printed a controller box mounting bracket for the Shapeoko 5 Pro. Much easier than the keyhole mounts on it, especially if mounting to the underside of a table.
Controller Bracket v2.stl (39.3 KB)
Printed with Creality Ender 3 V2 with PLA-F, 100% infill. Two brackets do the job, I chose three screws per bracket.

12 Likes

Am I missing it, or is there no actual link on carbide3d.com to get to the 3d print library?

Yes, I know it’s /3d-print. I’m referring to link being present on the site that’ll take you to it.

Here is the tray the library did for me today,wow it is great and very useful.
Thanks so much for the file.Are Prusa printers worth the money and easy to learn?

2 Likes

@Graham

I feel like Prusas are the Shapeokos of the 3D printer world. Or Shapeokos are the Prusas of the CNC world.

They may not be absolutely cutting edge, but they’re reliable, bomb proof, have a high print quality, and aren’t typically an entire project unto themselves (personally I have enough projects on my list, I just need my printer to print reliably).

I’d probably wait a bit to let the newly released mk4 mature a bit, it’s still got some firmware bugs, though they released a huge update yesterday. Eventually I’ll upgrade my mk3, but for now (combined with OctoPrint on a Pi) it reliably spits out whatever shop jigs or the like I need.

Bambu Labs and Anker are the two others I’d look at as well, but they both use proprietary software ala Glow Forge and I’m absolutely not willing to play with locked software ecosystems.

Disclaimer: I’m not a 3D printing fanatic, I find a lot of the culture to be ridiculously wasteful, I just want a machine that can be used to knock out jigs, custom organizers, and other functional prints. It’s very much a workshop tool for me.

ETA: I realize I didn’t answer the question about are they easy to learn. It can take a bit to get a printer really dialed, but honestly, Prusa’s defaults in PrusaSlicer (slicing is chopping a .stl into layers) are solid. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but after cutting my CAM chops on CNC it was minor. You’ll be printing out Benchies in about an hour after you get the thing up and running, less with the new mk4 and their first layer calibration magic.

2 Likes

The mk4 prints perfection out of the box. I don’t think there could be anything better for the money.
Learning to use a 3D printer is nothing these days. Learning to design useful models is a practiced skill.

I teach 12-14 year olds. I’m confident most of them could print a file on a Prusa printer with a few minutes of training. I would never be that confident with them generating toolpaths, setting up workholding, changing endmills, establishing work origin and running a CNC router.
3D printers and lasers are easy to run compared to a router or mill.

3 Likes

I printed the ZClamps, and they came out looking great, but can someone help me understand what I’m doing wrong? When I try to clamp these to any stock, they just slip off. After further inspection, i can see that it’s because they have a slight angle that makes them less than 90 degrees. What am I doing wrong here?

John,for me to go with a 3D printer I would need support like carbide 3D which is outstanding,my machine has been going for 4 hours a day for the last 5 and no issue and as I am in New Zealand I would need the support.The local library is seriously considering a CNC machine,wow that is brave move for them.

1 Like

Prusa’s support is beyond excellent, with 24/7 live chat support online. Their machines may not be bleeding edge right now, but their support and reliability are, IMO, beyond compare.

And a CNC machine at a library is… gutsy lol.

1 Like

I’ve also heard great things about Prusa but don’t have any personal experience with them. One of my close friends uses 3 of them to run small productions parts on a daily basis.

Hi Jessie

Thanks for letting me know. Can you show me how you are using them?

I have made a minor change to the design - but it’s not been pushed to the site yet.

1 Like

@Luke it looks like there are a fair amount of broken images on the various models. Check out Power Pendant Home Base as an example.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Kevin uploaded some action shots, but they were in the wrong format. He’s swapping them over and we’re going to update the site shortly.

3 Likes