Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Could you elaborate on why not to bolt down?

The reason is that whatever you bolt it to may not be flat and can pull the machine out of square. The only thing they talked about maybe supporting is bolting down to a surface plate large enough for the machine. That is a pretty expensive table though.

5 Likes

Exactly. We’ve seen some horrific pics of our machines and some competing machines badly warped by bolting them down to tables that are not flat. Obviously, they don’t run properly at that point.

The machine is heavy enough to be stable with gravity alone, and they’ll probably still function if put on a table that isn’t flat as long as they’re not bolted down.

7 Likes

When will we learn more about the electronics? Be great to see a video of the pro 5 in action. aA video detailing the assembly process. Also, our December January February orders still tracking for their predicted delivery dates?

1 Like

I’m not quite sure. Probably once we get the code done.

As of right now, we’re still on track to the predicted dates when orders were placed.

6 Likes

The last thing I want to be is first. :smiley:

1 Like

One last suggestion. Add an air cooled spindle kit with an r20 as optional equipment.

2 Likes

The Necessities:

2 Likes

@robgrz I canceled my Shapeoko Pro 5 order. Carbide charged my credit card on November 9th for my Shapeoko Pro 5 purchase. According to C3D sales support, “Payment is due at the time of purchase.” This policy was not clear to me when I completed the purchase. I certainly should have done more due diligence.

There are better ways to disclose this information to the consumer than in the second to the last paragraph of a separate blog post with a misleading title, “learn more about our shipping projections.” A better title might be “learn more about our payment policy and shipping projections for the Shapeoko Pro 5.” Especially since the advanced payment policy appears to be unique to the Shapeoko Pro 5 (See Carbide 3D shipping and pricing policy pages).

I will place my Shapeoko Pro 5 order when shipping times improve.

1 Like

@WillAdams I asked sales by email a few weeks ago and did not receive a response. Has anyone ever looked into getting duty free status for your products?

After looking at the 5 it got me thinking about the actual cost to land one in Canada and I started thinking about GST, and duty and brokerage fees and exchange and it got me thinking. There is a free trade agreement between Canada, the United States and Mexico. Shouldn’t manufacturing tools be duty free? I did a little digging and according to Canada Customs Tariff Schedule 84 “Machining Centers numerically controlled” should be free to import with the correct certificate of origin. My understanding is that your machines are manufactured in the United States which should qualify them for a Certificate of Origin. Have you ever looked into providing one? If you do indeed qualify and were to provide one I think you could increase your sales to Canada by advertising the fact that you would be duty free. I think this would be huge and if someone from Carbide 3D could look into it I think many from Canada would appreciate it.

3 Likes

I dunno — that would probably have to be referred to our lawyer and accountant — it’s not something I would be involved w/.

1 Like

Can you make sure they see this?

2 Likes

Can you guys release a 3d model for this machine? I need to figure out how big of a table/enclosure I need to build/order. XL version for me. :slight_smile:
Also any recommendations for total height and clearance if using the spindle and some form of dust collection?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Here is the footprint they have listed. I would add around 4" for the spindle and another 4"-6" depending on how you set up your dust collection.

2 Likes

I have bought my Pro XXL in April 2021 at 2800$US and payed 636$CAD at FEDEX for taxes and broker fees. There was no duty but I had to pay the standard taxes in my province (Quebec) which is 5% TPS + ~10% PST + some broker fees. I don’t remembered with was the exchange rate at that times. Hope it gives you an idea.

2 Likes

New video:

8 Likes

@KevBarn14 It looks like my Shapeoko pro (currently for sale here on the forum) had starring role in your video. As payment for his service in your film I’ll except a Shapeoko Pro 5 4x2 as payment.

8 Likes

@robgrz C3D is asking customers pay in advance upward $3800 for a machine that won’t ship until mid April, It would be nice to know more about the FULL capabilities of the Shapeoko Pro 5. Possibly post a few in-depth videos of the Shapeoko in action. Update on the electronics.

1 Like

We had two options here, wait until everything was ready to announce and talk about or, announce as soon as possible. We typically do the former, and we’re always presented with a lot of angry messages to the tune of “I just bought XXX, why didn’t you tell me this was coming?”. (Sometimes we look up the time that they “just bought” and it was a year before the announcement, before we started on the project, so these are not always rational comments.)

For the 5, we decided to announce as early as we could reasonably be sure that the machine would ship, but that means that not everything is done yet. Code, marketing material, videos, etc. are not done so we can’t share everything yet.

The Shapeoko 5 Pro is a great deal, even if there was nothing more than what we’ve already shared about it. We hope that the extra features will be icing on the cake, but until the code is done, they don’t exist. We won’t share anything until it’s a certain to ship.

For now, you should choose to buy based on what we’ve already announced. (Again, it’s a great deal as-is)

21 Likes

I get it. If you wait to reveal a product until it is ready to ship, customers will be upset; if you reveal it early, customers will have questions you can’t answer until you have a deliverable product. I will be resubmitting my canceled order later today/tomorrow.

5 Likes