Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Oh for sure, I never meant to imply that this was the fault of the C3D team, I’ve ordered plenty over the years and they always arrived perfectly.

1 Like

At work we either refuse to receive it or start the claim process with the driver still there.

Good Luck

1 Like

@robgrz You ready to talk any more about the electronics?

7 Likes

Assembly video up on Carbide3d youtube channel.

1 Like

Also noticed that all the steppers in the assembly video have dual shafts. Are all the retail models that way? I see a pretty cool upgrade in the future.

The video is at:

4 Likes

Once upon a time I was a shipping coordinator at an architectural veneer manufacturer (stupid expensive textured plywood for boat cabinets), and one of the cool tools we had was a strapping machine. You push a box through it and it whips a nylon strap around it, and heat seals it. The straps would give shippers something extra to hold onto, and it would also show you if you had support issues inside, as you could crush a box with it. The cardboard you guys are using looks like a really sturdy size, but maybe there needs to be some more support in the center.

Edit: Forgot another great device we used, made by Instapak. It’s a polyurethane bag system for packing unusual shapes. You fill a bag with a predetermined percentage of their chemical mix, then press it around an item. Within about 10 seconds it expands and hardens to protect the item. It’s nice because you don’t have to stock multiple sizes of packing material, and you can make custom packing jobs on small runs. Any heavy boxes are going to be at the bottom of the pile in the truck, so this would help keep the box from being crushed.

3 Likes

Exciting times! Received my shipping notification for the SO5. Now it is crunch time for deciding on a spindle / router.

1. Buy the compact router to get started
  2. 65mm VFD - currently out of stock
  3. Wait for the SO5 80mm spindle mount to become available
  4. Hope for news on the HDM spindle to be available for the SO5 :wink:
8 Likes

That is soooo disappointing and sad. Definitely looks like shipper’s fault, but those boxes could use some strapping around them to keep everything inside. Not sure you want to try to put it together with mangled up pieces. Something is liable to go flying off. Sorry you are going through this. What a pain.

The 65mm VFD spindle Kit is amazing. You won’t regret the investment.

2 Likes

Not really, but I’ll go anyway.

The Shapeoko 5 Pro electronics have a dedicated laser port on them with everything electrically isolated and integrated into the firmware. The port only goes active when you enter laser mode with a $31=1 (Or whatever that setting is)

We made some modifications to the firmware:

• $31 (or $32, I forget) does not persist to EEPROM so the laser mode is cleared on a restart or when you set it back to 0
  • When in laser mode the spindle port is disabled and the PWM output goes the the laser. When in milling mode, the laser port is disabled.
  • In laser mode, the output PWM is always scaled to 1000, so you do not need to reset the RPM range when entering or leaving laser mode.

Basically, this means that you do not have to redo the settings in GRBL every time you run a laser and it should be a better experience.

We will likely not be making a laser on our own, but we are working with a vendor to make a “Carbide Certified” laser that will be plug and play, and will be able to run directly from CM. We don’t have a timeline or exact specs on this yet.

I’ve told a lot of people that I’m not a fan of putting a laser on these machines, but if you’re going to do it, this is going to be the best way.

20 Likes

Why you’re not a “fan of putting a laser on these machines?”

There are a couple things that make me think lasers on a shapeoko aren’t the best:

• It’s really the wrong kind of machine for the lasers that get put on. Way to much mass.
  • Safety problems. No enclosure, no ventilation, no anti-fire sensors, etc.

This is a pretty clean way to do it though.

6 Likes

That is definitely the best implementation of a laser mode I’ve seen. Has the most safety aspects from the variables C3D can control.

The “Carbide 3D Certified” for seems to be a great compromise. Having the option is great for customers and sells machines, but without the liability when one of us fools starts a fire.

As a side note, I don’t run lasers without the proper glasses on and a fire extinguisher next to the machine. I also have a magnet I put on my detatched garage door that let’s people know one is running. I should add a hole for additional glasses. I have air evacuation running as well.

1 Like

Does anyone have their SO5 up and running? I have already emailed support but being the weekend I’ll ask the community here too: I have just finished assembly and connected my computer to my Shapeoko 5 for the first time. When selecting Connect To Cutter I received the following errors:

“GRBL Not found on device”

“Cannot open port for cutter: Serial Port: UnknownError”

"Cutter did not respond”

Before the errors appear I briefly see the option to load file or initialize machine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Support is already on it. Incredible response time.

1 Like

You probably need this

We forgot to move it to stable before the weekend

6 Likes

I will try it shortly and report back, thank you!

It’s alive! Thank you, I appreciate it!

6 Likes

Dedicated Laser is Brilliant

Because it means you could laser a full 8x4 plywood sheet (Take that Ortur). For those that need this capability, it’s great.

Yes, there are lots of safety stuff the owner will need you address, but I think this is brilliant.

We have a lot of really creative enclosure designers in this community, can’t wait to see the innovation.

1 Like