Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Geoff,
Which router did you get?

Got my shipping notice this afternoon. UPS says it will be at the house in on Friday. I thought for sure I wouldn’t see it until next week. Guess now, I’ll be crashing on the torsion table this weekend.

3 Likes

Oh wow yeah me too, I figured I’d have the weekend to prepare but I guess I better get cleaning!

3 Likes

I used the Rockler Rock-Steady 54x54 and Lowes project boards.

8 Likes

With the rockler tables being on sale right now, and with needing the table built sooner then expected I’m gonna go a similar route as you.
I’ll have to figure out if/how I want to enclose it after having used it for a bit.

1 Like

On the C3D youtube channel they discuss the tables they recommend for the SO5. Check it out.

1 Like

@robgrz I resubmitted my order today (Order #94637)! Hoping lead times improve significantly. May feels like a long way off.

I also went with Rockler but tied four tables together to give me 64x72”. Really is rock solid now. Nice amount of space around the machine and this gives me the extra room on the sides for the enclosure style I’ll build. Top half will slide over the back half. Below will provide separate sections for dust collection, storage, VFD, & chiller(once the 80mm spindle kit is available).

8 Likes

I went with Kreg 64x64 on casters since i need to be able to slide it between two rooms

5 Likes

If you have the option to add the casters that lift up to put the table on a solid foot, that might be better. The tables do move around a bit when the machine is moving if they’re on wheels.

Right now, I expect them to. We’re hoping to be able to make that more concrete early next week.

8 Likes

I agree with @robgrz. Unless they use double locking casters, when you lock the rotation of the wheel, it is still allowed to spin on the vertical shaft. I used the style that lifts the table off of its feet. I also got the ones that have mounting plates, so the wheels can come off so I don’t trip over them. :smiley:

5 Likes

@robgrz I just went with what was recommended in your “The Table Episode”. You not only recommended these specific casters but you showcased them installed in your video and I don’t think Kreg has option for casters that lift up

1 Like

We have them here, and they work well because we also need to be able to move the table around the shop.

That was more of a heads-up to anyone who doesn’t need to move the table around, or who’s building their own table.

3 Likes

Got it, so it shouldn’t be a total disaster then

2 Likes

It will absolutely not be a disaster, the Kreg tables are great.

4 Likes

Thoughts on this type of casters for Kreg table if someone does need the mobility?

I used that style on my last bench and liked them. They don’t stick-out to trip over and are sturdy. They are not the easiest to change between rolling and locked up and catch on every bit of debris on the floor. :smiley: But since I have never actually moved any of my Shapeoko benches a lot, it didn’t come into play much.

1 Like

If you need to move it regularly, those are cumbersome. If you need to move it occasionally, they’re probably great.

3 Likes

As others said they are not easy. My addition is they are also expensive. There are many that are good quality and less expensive. The main thing I like in a caster is that it is 4-5 inches in diameter. This gives you good mobility. The caster needs to lock in both directions. You want your caster to lock the wheel but also the position of the wheel. This is important with a big machine on top that is moving around creating momentum.

The ones you pictured just are overkill for this application. But overkill is great.

4 Likes

The Kreg table fits the bill here. We need, but also really enjoy being able to easily move the machine. For cleaning or filming…Or…for throwing in a sheet of plywood when needed.

5 Likes