Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

That is definitely the best implementation of a laser mode I’ve seen. Has the most safety aspects from the variables C3D can control.

The “Carbide 3D Certified” for seems to be a great compromise. Having the option is great for customers and sells machines, but without the liability when one of us fools starts a fire.

As a side note, I don’t run lasers without the proper glasses on and a fire extinguisher next to the machine. I also have a magnet I put on my detatched garage door that let’s people know one is running. I should add a hole for additional glasses. I have air evacuation running as well.

1 Like

Does anyone have their SO5 up and running? I have already emailed support but being the weekend I’ll ask the community here too: I have just finished assembly and connected my computer to my Shapeoko 5 for the first time. When selecting Connect To Cutter I received the following errors:

“GRBL Not found on device”

“Cannot open port for cutter: Serial Port: UnknownError”

"Cutter did not respond”

Before the errors appear I briefly see the option to load file or initialize machine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Support is already on it. Incredible response time.

1 Like

You probably need this

We forgot to move it to stable before the weekend

6 Likes

I will try it shortly and report back, thank you!

It’s alive! Thank you, I appreciate it!

6 Likes

Dedicated Laser is Brilliant

Because it means you could laser a full 8x4 plywood sheet (Take that Ortur). For those that need this capability, it’s great.

Yes, there are lots of safety stuff the owner will need you address, but I think this is brilliant.

We have a lot of really creative enclosure designers in this community, can’t wait to see the innovation.

1 Like

Operation fancy pants controller is done in anticipation of the arrival of its SO5 Pro 4x4 Tuesday. I decided I wanted a big touch screen so I can have the mini PC control the SO5 Pro and my Ortur laser engraver…at the same time. :smiley:

22" Asus touch screen
HP mini PC (i5, 8GB RAM, 480GB SSD)

13 Likes

I like that set up ! I’ve been looking at the Rockler table vs the Kreg. I’m thinking 2 of the Rockler 56" x 32’ may be a better way to go for me for the 5 pro 4x4. What size Rockler table (s) did you go with ?

Scott

1 Like

A single 54x54. I just did an overhang to hit 60" deep and 62" wide.

1 Like

Thanks, I might just go with the 54x54 then. Let me know how it works when you get your machine. Mines scheduled to ship in February

Scott

1 Like

I’m making my table out of 2 56x32 tables, it seems plenty solid just as the frame. I’ve add some wings to the side so the entire tabletop is 72x64. I’ll probably add some photos once I actually get it into place.

Would love to see some photos! I’m doing something very similar as I have two very solid desk frames that I replaced with motorized ones that I plan on using today.

Hey Josh, how many frickin Shapeokos do you have anyway? Just curious lol.

2 Likes

Please note that 579 has now moved to stable if you don’t see it on the Beta page:

1 Like

I am down to 2, the soon to arrive SO5 Pro 4x4, and my beloved HDM. :slight_smile: I sold my SO3 to a friend when my SO4 arrived. My SO4 Pro now lives with another friend, who also has a SO3. My SO4 is with a guy making fishing stuff with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beloved indeed! Feel the same about mine.

The ONLY thing I’d do differently on mine is a 2.2 spindle. I manage to stall the 1.5 on occasion but, so far, not so much as to impel me to spend the money to upgrade.

1 Like

In case someone with Kreg workbench needs some ideas

9 Likes

I love it! I also have an Ortur LM2 and was thinking about putting it under the SO5. I was worried about the vibrations and bumping it while engraving.

I only use one at the time so not too worry about vibrations

1 Like