Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Will, do you know the timeframe for the rpi version to be updated?

The current version, 578 is good to go — 579 only has a Windows fix, so no need for a new version for the RPi.

3 Likes

Your bench is looking good. It is nice to have things looking neat in the shop. For me white is a no no. All I have to do is look at white and it is dirty.

3 Likes

“The Eagle has landed!”

19 Likes

Took about 2 hours to get it from closed boxes to fully assembled by myself…with a busted knee. :smiley: That was with me documenting things, taking pictures, being more particular about frame squareness than the assembly video, mounting the control box, messaging people, checking fasteners, and my general desire to be as precise as possible. Later tonight I’ll get the VFD box mounted, everything powered up, tested, and moving.

So far the assembly experience is even better than the SO4Pro, which is slightly easier than the SO4, which was considerably better than the SO3, which was already great. Way easier assembly and squaring.

12 Likes

Looks Awesome, so just need to figure out what cut first!

1 Like

Hoping this means you got it sorted out? Turn off/turn on?
Let’s see some videos of this thing in action guys.

Yes, after some more troubleshooting i found out that one cable was pinched at x and y axis transition, once i got that sorted everything came to life.

1 Like

Has anyone come across “Probing Cycle Failed” on Z axis after enabling BitSetter? It only seems to check first 10mm then stops with the error. Yes I did check, Z axis has full range motion when done manually.

What computer are you using to run carbide motion? I ask because I had the same issue. I figured out through some testing that the tablet I used to run carbide motion for my previous two Shapeokos was just not powerful enough to run carbide motion on the SO-5 pro.

MS Surface 3 Pro, everything else works just fine, I can jog the machine on all axis, only getting this one error

Sounds exactly like the issue I had. I could jog manually. As soon as it started the probing cycle for the bitsetter it would fail about 2 seconds in. I disabled the bitsetter in the settings, tried to run a simple test file and it would fail consistently about 2 seconds into the first cut. I spent all night troubleshooting different thing late last night. Ultimately I verified that it was the underpowered tablet getting overwhelmed and stalling. I swapped it out for an old more powerful laptop I had and everything worked perfectly. It’s worth a try if you have another computer around.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with mine. I am running a Surface Pro 4 and it has ran some simple toolpaths on the SO5 without issue, but there have been disconnects on other toolpaths(support is on it). After some troubleshooting on the BitSetter issue with support they have sent a new BitSetter to test. I will also try another computer and see if that’s the issue.

@pattersonguitars No luck, hooked it up to a desktop with i5 3.4GHz and 32GB of RAM, exactly the same issue, but thank you for suggestion

Any idea when we could see updated ship dates?

We changed the expected date for new orders. Everyone in the current queue should get their machine shipped out by March 15th or so.

11 Likes

Ordered. Looks like it already is back at the 21st.

Huzzah! That’s great news. I’m whipping up a real lather of anticipation. Can’t wait to lay hands on it.

It sounds like a wiring mistake was made for the front panel and the BitSetter. We’ll begin sending out replacement wires tomorrow to everyone who already received a machine. Machines going out after today will have the correct wire.

8 Likes

First, hello everyone. I am a total “virgin” to CNC. I don’t have and have never used a CNC. I’m looking at getting one but really nervous about the programing stuff. I’m 65 and retired, want something to do to keep be busy. I’m looking at getting the 5 Pro. I figure go big or stay home. I don’t know if I’d ever try and sell anything, but who knows. I have questions about the different routers, the $80 or $170, that Shapeoto, has not sure what the difference is. I have Dewalt 618 router, but I don’t think it would work on this, plus I saw a video that said if we weren’t using a VFD or something like that, we weren’t getting the full benefit of the CNC. Can anyone help this beginner with some simple answers as to which is the best way to go. Thanks