Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Exactly, you might be a lucky one in the end

It’s OK. We all need to vent sometimes.

After trying to hang the controller box with its multiple keyholes by measuring, I said some choice words and then wised up. Hopefully this will save others some grief. Pencil rub the holes and then screw the paper onto your mounting material for perfect alignment.

10 Likes

We ran out of our first batch of electronics, so we’re waiting on the next shipment to come in. In the meantime, we continue to build the machines themselves, so we should resume shipping in significant quantities as soon as they arrive.

All of the dates on the website are pretty conservative, so everyone should get their machine before the projected date unless something goes very wrong.

Anticipating this question- Why didn’t we order more electronics from the start? Normally we would have, but this is a new design, and we couldn’t afford to waste the chips if something went wrong. We’ve been stockpiling as many chips as possible over the past two years, and we’ve had large orders in place with the vendors for over a year to get more. Until we get those orders filled, we have to assume that almost none are available, so we treat our chip inventory like they’re gold.

15 Likes

The holy script has been written, and first blood has been drawn (endmills are sharp!). I had a few minor issues, one from shipping and one because I’m blind, but nothing I couldn’t fix.

Can’t wait to get back at it!

10 Likes

Oh the joy of a new machine. I have had my SO3 for 4 years and still joyful when using it. Good luck with your new SO5. Lucky dog😀

2 Likes

Not to be a downer, but any word on electronics shipment timeline? It sounded like no more SO5s were going out until more boards arrived. Any update appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Question for ya’ll who have received your SO5: if you ordered the machine with accessories, did those accessories ship with the machine or did they ship soon after placing the order?
Thanks in advance.

It depends. Often machines ship from the Chicago facility and usually accessories from California. I got my spindle a week or so before my SO5 Pro arrived.

2 Likes

No clue, none of the accessories (including the VFD) have shipped. We are hoping that they are at least here when the machine gets here. That have had and gone out of stock on the VFD several times since our order.

It looks like the new PCB shipment arrived today so we’ll be programming and testing them starting tomorrow. If all goes well, Shapeoko 5 Pro machines will being shipping again next week.

10 Likes

Just got shipping notification!!! Woohooooo.

6 Likes

I did too. Looks like Monday or Tuesday.

1 Like

Ditto mine looks to here this week!!!

When did you place your order?

Placed on December 26th

Thinking of a 5 Pro this summer even though my 4XL is only 18 months old. I would like to get away from belts on the X Y.

Quick question: Does the 5 still run on GRBL? I am not a fan of CM and would prefer to use UGS as I do with my other 2 machines. But also, I have a lot of proven work saved as GRBL and would like to be able to use those same files on the 5 without recalculations etc.

Yes, we are still using Grbl 1.1

1 Like

Carbide appears to be well ahead of their three months lead-time estimate. Cautiously optimistic that this trend will continue. If this trend continues, I might see my shipping notes this week. Fingers crossed.

Got my shipping notification for my 4x2 SPKO PRO 5 today! Super excited!

7 Likes