Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

All our wildest dreams are coming true! Mine is out for delivery right now but I’m on a plane home and hoping I get there first. Truth be told, I’m worried about UPS manhandling it like we’ve seen happen to other folks.

3 Likes

Has anyone found the PDF that is referenced in the assembly video? I can’t seem to find the screws to attach the y rails to the base supports

Here’s the link to the manual: https://my.carbide3d.com/manuals/shapeoko-5-pro/

2 Likes

I am missing the y axis hardware bag… just lovely. Does anyone know if the m6 16 panhead screws from Lowes will work? I have looked in every nook and cranny (even tore the shipping foam apart) looking for this hardware bag and it appears to have been left out of the package. Screws for the first step of the build missing… This does not bode well.

I forgot, I got my bill from FedEx yesterday. Any Canadians curious about the import costs, here it is. Declared value was $5005.88CAN for the 5 pro 4x4. Duty was not a big deal, considering the total value of the shipment.

GST 250.29
Disbursement fee 11.00
GST on disb fee 5.40
Clearance entry fee 97.00
Total service fee: $363.69

2 Likes

I’ve used Lowes M6 cap screws and found them to be brittle. Carbide support typically turn around replacement parts in a day or two. If you have a pressing project and can’t wait, Grainger typically sells quality hardware. If Granger is not an option, you might try a local machine shop.

What worst is to order a 30 dollar item, I believe the Disbursement fee is the same and there is a minimum on the Clearance fee

I don’t mind paying the tax and the rest was not too bad as a percentage on the machine but I ordered 2 items which came from different C3D locations so the order got split
They dinged me twice for more then the items :frowning:
I am in Vancouver so I will self declare next time. They hate that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also thought the bag was missing and went through the boxes and foam 3 times. Home Depot has Black M6 Socket Head screws for around 1.50 for two, think they actually look cooler and work fine. They also have the Panheads. ACE charges like $2 a screw. I actually found the screws that fell out of the packaging 3 days later.

1 Like

Just got the SO5 48x48 last night! ( ordered Dec 27 ). The assembly was pretty straight forward but I’m brand new to Shapeoko so it took me about 6 hours to get to the first test cuts. No issue with the initialization. The BitZero and BitSetter worked brilliantly. I will say the cables for the controller and VFD spindle seem a bit on the short side for this sized machine, but I still need to work on organizing the underneath equipment. From someone brand new to it I would rank the setup experience a 5 out 5! It was worth the wait.

9 Likes

I don’t have the 5 (yet….he he) but I can say that setting up my 4 was as straightforward as it can be. Compared to my experience with my smaller machine from another company, I would rate Shapeoko set up and support at the top of the list. I hate to see lots of criticism about the company or product that can easily be attributed to human error, whether that was a missing screw from the MFG or someone’s inability to follow directions or just slowing down and working through it step by step.

3 Likes

Screws are here. Now I get to complete the build. Any instructions for VFD installation on a shapeoko 5?

Quick question for 4 x 2 owners. Did you receive three or four base frame members? I only received three. There should be something that goes under the rear of the machine. I didn’t receive instructions with my machine, so I’m in the dark about this.

The instructions are at:

The 4x2 and 2x2 models have fewer of some parts.

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com if you have any further questions.

Thank you. The instructions seem to be geared towards the 4 x 4 model.

Post Deleted by author

That last set of holes on each side is for the wire holders, not another extrusion.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will read this manual before I actually order to make sure I can do the required assembly by myself. Your wonderful.

Josh, How are you liking the HP/Asus setup compared to the Fusion5 you were using

Much faster for sure. Although I think I’d go slightly smaller on the screen next time. It’s a bit cumbersome. A different arm might help that though. It wasn’t a big cost for me since I got the computer cheap, but if I paid full price for everything, I don’t know if the price difference would be worth it.

Has Carbide3D published any information on maintenance for the S5Pro? I’ve seen info for the older machines, nothing for the new Shapeoko 5 Pro yet.

Any plans for an updated injection molded work-holding set that is specific to the S5Pro? The L bracket at least does not fit the S5 due to the changed distance between the slots.

Have you considered releasing a longer cable for the control pendant?

2 Likes