Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Agree on all points. The change in pause behavior for the Shapeoko 5 Pro was unexpected. I have cut several projects, and I’ve come to appreciate the new approach.

1 Like

The Shapeoko 5 Pro is a beast! I’ve been cutting a lot of MDF the last few days. I started with the recommended MDF speeds and feeds, which are too conservative for the 5. I’ve increased the DOC to .070 and the feed rate to 80; there is still much room to push the machine. Wondering what others are using for feeds and speeds with MDF and Shapeoko 5 pro.

3 Likes

Those are rookie numbers! Joke aside, I’m just a battle hardened guy I guess. :smiley:

I’ve cut 0.375" depth of cut, 200 IPM. But in case the endmill is dull, better go 0.250" DOC.

6 Likes

Quick review: Got my SO5 and C3D vfd/spindle about two weeks ago. It’s so damn cool that I wake up and go to sleep thinking about stuff to make. I’m constantly seeing items and thinking about how to cut them out on it. I was happy with the delivery - boxes were in good shape and nothing seemed damage at all. Took me an evening to put it together. Had one limit switch w a bad crimp on one pin and they overnighted a new switch. I would highly recommend getting the good T handle Allen wrenches. It was a lot of wrenching. I wouldn’t want to do that with a little IKEA wrench. Everything went together just right though. I followed the directions and also watched the movie, but it was pretty straightforward. Having unique connectors for each electrical connection is nice. Spindle and VFD were also very simple to setup and wire, and it’s really quiet. The cords could all be longer though.

Honestly putting it together was the easy part. Trying to actually create something in CAD/CAM is an enormous learning curve. I messed w Fusion360 and designed a couple things but it’s a lot to deal with. My kid came in and asked me to make her a pumpkin, so I fired up carbide create, downloaded an stl from the webs, and had it cutting in like 10 mins, which was highly satisfying. Going to start simple from here.

Overall I’m super happy w the machine and excited to dive into this. I did have a couple things to share that might help others. My Z axis crashed twice on my first 2 cuts. Once down on the bitsetter and once up at the homing location. Had my finger on e-stop switch so no damage. Turns out I think it was this little metal dowel inside the body of the HDZ that had fallen out. I guess it activates the limit switch. When I put it back in everything has been working well. Definitely worth tightening everything on the machine, probably came loose in shipping or something.

Here’s my first project I cut, which is embarrassing, but here we are. It’s a first draft prototype for a switch panel I’m trying to make in acrylic. Someday it will have backlit engraved labels and a logo at the top.

Anyway, thanks again to everybody for all the knowledge, solutions, and creativity being shared in this community.

12 Likes

Could I please ask if there is a supplier in the United Kingdom for a Shapeoko 5 (4x4)? If not, what would the shipping and import tax be? I already have a Shapeoko 3 XXL and love it but the idea of a larger bed would open a lot of opportunities.

Please write in to sales@carbide3d.com for assistance with resellers and availability and so forth.

1 Like

@since_1664 Hi Sam,

There are several things to take in to consideration:

1. The shipping costs can be seen in the basket before committing to buy.

2. The exchange rate moves up and down daily, but your credit/debit card provider is the one that dictates the exchange rate at the time of the purchase.

3. The import duty / VAT is calculated at the time of import and is paid via the courier (e.g. FedEx).

4. FedEx will charge you a fee for handling the import duty for you.

I am in the UK and I got notification that my order for a Shapeoko 5 Pro + VFD shipped TODAY! Yay!

I should know within a few days what the costs are for import and I’d be happy to post back with more details if that will help you.

3 Likes

@DPME, I will wait with bated breath! Thank you for the update.

This was very helpful

The custom table is built and ready for FedEx to drop the new toys off, but I see people recommending putting some rubber on the table to help prevent sound transmission.

I just noticed the table amplifying the sound of my sander as I smoothed off any rough edges, so It’s something I’m a little more conscious of now.

So, what type of rubber? How thick is needed? At what point does the rubber negate the rigidity and “flatness” of the table? Any other material suggested?

Oh, and I’m in the UK, so anything suggested would need to be available here too :slight_smile:

I’m cheap and usually use “Anti-fatigue” puzzle mats from Harbor Freight — similar panels are also available from sporting goods stores for use under exercise equipment.

For my Pro XXL I got lucky and had a largish foam piece from some equipment packaging from my previous job.

Thanks Will, how thick are they? Do you have any issues with the flat bed distorting?

The anti-fatigue mats are about 1/2" thick (~13mm).

The product foam is quite a bit thicker (1"/25mm).

One reason to do this is to distribute the load — rather than having specific points holding things up, the entire load is distributed across everywhere the foam touches the machine and where the foam touches the table, which should be everywhere.

Thanks - We don’t have Harbor Frieght, but something like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/anti-slip-floor-interlocking-mat-black-600-x-600mm-6-pack/338pv

Yes, that looks very close to what I used and should be fine — old Yoga mats are another possibility.

1 Like

I just got notice that my Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x2 has shipped. I ordered it Feb 14, and at the time the projected shipping date was May 28. The prospect of a 3-1/2 month wait was a bit excruciating, but I still placed the order. Having it arrive about 2 months early is a relief. Of course it isn’t here yet, so it’s a little too soon to celebrate, but overall this is good news.

4 Likes

@since_1664 Sam,

— UK Import —
Because I ordered the VFD as well as the S5P-4x4 they came from two different locations (IL and CA) as two separate shipments.

I had to pay FedEx for the CNC import prior to them releasing it (they don’t tell you - you have to chase them!) which was £707.20 for the VAT plus any handling fees they added. They haven’t sent me the invoice yet and I’ll update further once I have it so you have the full breakdown.

The VFD was delivered without them requiring payment up front so I expect an additional invoice from them for that in due course and I’ll update once that arrives.

Hope that helps.

[Edit 4 Apr 2023]
I got my final invoices from fed-ex for the import. This is how they worked out:

Shipment 1 : Shapeoko 5 Pro : VAT = £707.02 + £17.58 handling fee
Shipment 2: VFD + BitZero v2 + Workholding kit : VAT £125.04 + £12.75 handling fee.

So the total cost to import the SPro+VFD+BitZeroV2+Workholding Kit as £862.39.

This is of course all based on the prevailing £-$ exchange rate, so if you are importing then it will vary slightly up or down.

Just to add to @DPME comments.

In the UK almost everything you buy in the UK incurs VAT, even our beloved biscuits if they have chocolate on. Buying things from abroad is no different, the only caveat is VAT is not charged or shown by the retailer (in this case Carbide 3D). As such it’s the duty of the person importing it to pay VAT (also referred to as import tax). This is then passed onto the UK government.

Whilst Carbide 3D can show you the shipping cost we don’t pay the VAT on your behalf as we are a US company. In the states it’s a little different as each state has a different rate which is added onto almost every US checkout (without going through a checkout you don’t see individual tax rates).

Generally speaking importing anything from the US will cost an additional 20% VAT + a handling/brokerage fee which is about £13 per shipment (although this does vary from courier to courier). At no point does Carbide3D receive the tax paid to the UK government.

As a useful note some of the UK’s Fintech Banks offer commercial exchange rates (which fluctuate throughout the day). If I bought a £100 item using a normal UK debit card for £100 I’d expect to pay around £133 for the item, and then a transaction and foreign currency fee (which vary from bank to bank). With a bank like Starling or Monzo you likely won’t pay a foreign transaction fee or exchange fee and will get a better exchange rate.

VAT is calculated on the invoice item price and shipping cost.

4 Likes

Only 20% VAT :astonished: You lucky sods!
We have a wallet killing 25% VAT :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

I would have to go back and check but I am fairly sure I didn’t pay VAT on the shipping component when I got my N3 into the UK, just the goods. As soon as I got the FedEx notification e-mail that it was on its way I prepaid the VAT while it was in still in flight and there was no delay when it landed. It took longer to get across the States than it did to cross the Atlantic to my doorstep!