Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

Is there any upgrade path for those who have purchased a Pro?

From the blog post:

“Can a previous Shapeoko be upgraded to the 5 Pro? Unfortunately, they cannot. The Shapeoko 5 Pro is a completely new machine and I don’t think there’s a single shared component between the 5 and prior machines.”

Unfortunately a massive advancement in design usually means that there is little carry-over. That goes for anything, and was the case when the SO4 and SO4Pro were released as well. They were enough of an advancement that they had no carry-over to the SO3. But I did sell my SO4 last weekend for a pretty good price…

1 Like

A 1.5 to 1.8kw spindle will probably be the sweet spot for this machine. I am curious what kind of rigidity difference exists between the HDM and the Pro 5. The stepper power is clear but I would love to see some deflection comparisons.

My limiting factor in aluminum so far has been heat build up from heavy cuts before stressing the HDM’s gantry, spindle, or motion components but that’s on fairly small stock.

2 Likes

Shipping has slipped to Feb 20. I’m glad I ordered my Shapeoko Pro 5 early.

4 Likes

That’s why I started with an Amazon mister, tried 2 at once, then ultimately went with a dual fog buster setup. I’m now trying the lube that @Vince.Fab recommended to get good cooling and better lubricity than the Coolmist I was using. I tried isopropyl alcohol first and it cooled great, but provided no lubrication.

It’s been fun experimenting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @KevBarn14 for giving us glimpses on Instagram. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is for my Shapeoko Pro 5 tone delivered early.

3 Likes

Hi @robgrz

Can you please indicate when new video content for the S5PRO will be released?

Thanks🙃

4 Likes

Any updates on shipping timelines?

1 Like

Carbide 3D shared a post on Instagram: "Shapeoko 5 Pro - The full 48. Link in Bio". Follow their account to see 517 posts.

It’s being made right now. Kevin is working on videos this week.

7 Likes

Well, maybe we don’t use Facebook / Instagram.

I’ll try to keep an eye on what gets released and post links here as well.

I’m sure some will show up on YouTube which will be playable embedded here.

3 Likes

The above is just a teaser of the setup. We will post content here too

4 Likes

Any chance we could get a photo or two of the backside of the machine? I’m designing my enclosure and it would help to know how big the gap is between the gantry and the Y axis when the gantry is pushed all the way to the back of machine.

2 Likes

Note that there will be two different dimensions for that based on whether the gantry is installed aft or forward for the “gantry shift for joinery” feature.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Is that the Kreg 64" Universal bench I see?

Wonder if top on Kreg 64x64 would sag because the machine is slightly smaller and there would be no support underneath. Kreg 64x44 would probably work better

I ended up with the Rockler Rock-Steady 54x54. I used Lowe’s 72’x30’x1.5" project boards for the top. I figured the thickness would help. I also added Unistrut where the two halves join to reinforce it.

1 Like