Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

The extrusions supporting the Hybrid Table that run across (left to right) need a table with at least ~49" of depth to fully support them. If you do get a 44" deep table, I’d recommend there to be at least 6" or so of total front/back overhang with your bench top.

4 Likes

@jakesmakes We actually have several 64x64 Kreg tables holding SO5 Machines. Here’s the one in California. As Winston mentioned, you want full support. I put stringers on the bottom side to increase rigidity and support across the span. I think this is the most cost effective and speedy solution.
The machine itself is super rigid.

Definitely buy the KREG Casters if you ever want to move the machine. We have them here, I have them at my home shop. They are excellent.

You’ll need two sheets of plywood for this table. 3/4"

10 Likes

I was thinking 64 deep and 44 wide, this way the 64 rails are under the hybrid table supports. CAD mockup of the machine would help us all figure out the tables and enclosures :wink:

1 Like

I should also note that my 54"54" Rockler table has overhang to fully support the machine.

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. Thank you for the pictures :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also of note, I used lifting and revocable casters for my build. The Rockler feet seem solid, but I didn’t have c as much faith in the casters not being double locked.

5 Likes

I would also love a CAD mockup. For now i’m just using a box as a placeholder using the footprint dimensions. But it doesnt really do much for telling you how much room around it you would want.

1 Like

Instead of 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, how about 1 sheet of 3/4 MDF glued to a sheet of 3/4 plywood with the MDF sheet on top? Plus stretchers between the rails.

Glad you took inspiration from our Laseoko Pro mounted on a Kreg frame, circa 2021: :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s the first video on YouTube:

5 Likes

Do you have a timeframe on when the 80mm water cooled spindle package will be available?

2 Likes

It’s going to be early next year before anything ships, but it would be the ‘complete package’.

We have plenty of experience with them, but need to “stock up”.

3 Likes

Hopefully when the info/price comes out I don’t get buyers remorse for snagging one of the current vfd kits last week during the black Friday sale.

I assume it’s gotta be similar to what is offered on the HDM.

1 Like

The 1.2kw should serve you well unless you want to run really heavy cuts and bigger tools. The Er20 collets are a big step up from Er11 allowing .5" tooling. I want to see a side by side 1.2kw vs 1.5kw to see how much that extra 300 watts really makes in the cut. Maybe they will sell you just the spindle if you find yourself wanting the 1.5kw should you max out the 1.2kw in the future.

This has been an interesting year for the desk top hobby CnC realm with the 5 pro and now Onefinity elite entering the market. Carbide has hands down the better CnC chassis being fully supported hgh15 rails, a way better Z axis, and better base hybrid table. Where the elite has the Masso touch and closed loop steppers making this an interesting arms race, especially since the Masso controller has the ability to add an ATC and all sorts of extra relay controls on a stand alone touch screen.

I hope it pushes Carbide to up their electronics game even further on the next board revision with similar capabilities.

1 Like

I’ve talked with @Luke about the 1.2kw vs 1.5kw. If I recall correctly he said most spindles advertised as 1.5kw are actually 1.2kw in real world output.

2 Likes

A video on the Hybrid Bed (for the Shapeoko 5 Pro):

(note that all statements in that video are specific to the SO5 Pro)

4 Likes

Being able to use the larger tooling I think would be the main benefit. The power difference would be nice I don’t think it is needed in my case.

I was on the same thought process when I saw the specs for the new onefinity. The masso controller and closed loop steppers seems really nice, but it’s missing out on a lot of other features that Carbide has really nailed.
I’m optimistically hopeful for some more advanced features/options with the new electronics.

@WillAdams Do you know if it is advisable or not to rigidly secure the hybrid table crossbeams to whatever table/platform the machines are going on?

1 Like

We haven’t fully spilled the beans on the SO5 electronics.

No. It’s good to block everything in to keep it from sliding or moving, but you should not bolt it down.

8 Likes

Perfect, thanks @robgrz.

1 Like

So that means that the shaft on the back of the steppers are for a future/included encoder and closed loop capability?:star_struck:

5 Likes