Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro

@KevBarn14 It looks like my Shapeoko pro (currently for sale here on the forum) had starring role in your video. As payment for his service in your film I’ll except a Shapeoko Pro 5 4x2 as payment.

8 Likes

@robgrz C3D is asking customers pay in advance upward $3800 for a machine that won’t ship until mid April, It would be nice to know more about the FULL capabilities of the Shapeoko Pro 5. Possibly post a few in-depth videos of the Shapeoko in action. Update on the electronics.

1 Like

We had two options here, wait until everything was ready to announce and talk about or, announce as soon as possible. We typically do the former, and we’re always presented with a lot of angry messages to the tune of “I just bought XXX, why didn’t you tell me this was coming?”. (Sometimes we look up the time that they “just bought” and it was a year before the announcement, before we started on the project, so these are not always rational comments.)

For the 5, we decided to announce as early as we could reasonably be sure that the machine would ship, but that means that not everything is done yet. Code, marketing material, videos, etc. are not done so we can’t share everything yet.

The Shapeoko 5 Pro is a great deal, even if there was nothing more than what we’ve already shared about it. We hope that the extra features will be icing on the cake, but until the code is done, they don’t exist. We won’t share anything until it’s a certain to ship.

For now, you should choose to buy based on what we’ve already announced. (Again, it’s a great deal as-is)

21 Likes

I get it. If you wait to reveal a product until it is ready to ship, customers will be upset; if you reveal it early, customers will have questions you can’t answer until you have a deliverable product. I will be resubmitting my canceled order later today/tomorrow.

5 Likes

I didn’t pay any duty importing into Canada. I paid tax and a brokerage fee.

2 Likes

Maybe I just assumed there was duty because of the ridiculous brokerage fees the shipping companies charge. I got two separate bills from the shipping company after it arrived when I brought mine in and can’t find them to confirm how much was paid for what. I do remember thinking the fees were way higher than they should have been.

It should be on your invoice from the shipping company. On Fedex I can see I paid a few hundred in HST, and then 70$ for the clearing fee.

You can often save on the clearing fee if you have an account with the company. I have one with FedEx, but FedEx Ground is different so was not able to make that happen in time for delivery.

Shipping times of now slip to April, so it looks like I will not be resubmitting my canceled order. Should’ve kept my previous order which was scheduled to ship in early February.

We’ll be reevaluating the lead times in the next week to see if our pessimistic estimates were too pessimistic. Hopefully, we’ll ship new orders before that.

11 Likes

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you check your scheduled shipping date? I ordered the minute it was available and don’t see anything?

EDIT: I understand no one knows the real date based on Rob’s comments, I just see a lot of people mention their shipping date.

4 Likes

On the Shapeoko 5 product page, Carbide list an estimated ship date. Fingers crossed that lead times improve with next week’s update. I’m itching to place my order but want to see if the lead times improve. Orders purchased today are expected to ship on April 22.

1 Like

I also ordered within the first hour, my projected shipping date at the time was 28 Dec. Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Kevin’s latest to while away your waiting:

5 Likes

I cant believe the shipping times, if it were 30 days I’d have ordered already, 4 months tho? nah, something isnt adding up. Wasnt today supposed to be the first ship date for the day-1 orders? If you look on the order page its now out to 26 April, thats just plain dumb, why would anyone loan them 4-5K for 4-5 months.

I had my order in on the first day and it was shown as a January 10th estimated shipping date if I recall correctly.

If you don’t want to put in an order, cool. :slight_smile: I’m sure not too long after they start shipping, they’ll be in-stock.

3 Likes

Ordered a SO5 pro last night plus a bag of goodies to go with! Extremely excited about getting my hands on this baby . . . in April. The shipping lead times are punishing, and I agonized about that for weeks plus the full payment being due at purchase (which in my opinion was clearly disclosed, if unsavory). But then I just decided this was the direction I wanted to go. Had been coveting a Shapeoko for years, watched the 3, 4 and Pro come out, almost buying, but glad I held off. The 5 has a ton of features that the internet has lead me to believe are awesome for a hobby CNC type machine, plus the 48" bed is great. My current use case is totally messing around and building cool stuff, so I couldn’t justify Avid/Tormach/etc.

C3D, by all appearances and short but distinguished track record, is a great company with excellent products, support, made in US, solid reputation. Gives me warm feelings. Hopefully they don’t rug pull all these prepaid funds. But if they do, it will be a whole lot easier to sue them in California than, well, anywhere else on earth. Honestly I’m not that worried about it given their history, things people say on the internet, aforementioned fuzzy feelings, etc.

Because of the hefty lead time and C3D’s history of frequently launching increasingly awesome products, I didn’t buy a router/spindle. The air cooled spindle/VFD keeps going in and out of stock every other day, and happened to be out when I pulled the trigger. What are the chances they drop a larger water cooled spindle by the time my machine ships . . . ?

Anyway, got a whole lot to learn, but excitement and anticipation levels are high! Happy to be here. Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays.

2 Likes

An 80mm spindle for the HDZ equipped machines has been discussed on the forums, but no specifics on it.

You can get a lot done w/ an inexpensive Carbide Compact Router as a start, and then move on to some other option when you’re ready.

We’ll have to see what gets announced when.

1 Like

Speaking of tables, I am thinking something similar to this this but with a single 62" toolbox.

With regards to the wait for shipping: Carbide 3D has earned the community trust and I’m willing to be patient for the SO5 to ship.

Fingers crossed that we see more on the electronics information and a water cooled VFD spindle is available to purchase in the near future :wink:

1 Like

Just in case we haven’t been explicit about this before, we absolutely do not want to do any presales or pre-announcement. We would prefer to build a month of machines and then announce the new thing and start shipping on day one. That’s not what customers want so we try to accommodate them, because they’re the reason we have a company. (What we want doesn’t matter in this case)

For what it’s worth, in the past we tried announcing and not taking preorders and that didn’t make anyone happy, it just filled our inbox with people who were mad that they couldn’t preorder.

Well, you’re in luck. The code is working and it’s looking good so we can share a bit more.

The Shapeoko 5 Pro electronics have two additional features we can share:

We added hardware to keep settings persistently in the machine, so we can save the configuration information in the machine, not on your computer. It’s a small thing, but it should be a win for users that change the computers that run Carbide Motion, or use multiple machines on a single computer. We’ll need to add code to CM over time to enable it, but the hardware is working.

Second, and more importantly, we added an expansion port that will let us create additional peripherals that integrate with the machine using a single connection that provides data and power. Peripherals will mainly be I/O, coordinated by Carbide Motion. Peripherals could range from light towers to ATC controllers.

As excited as we are about the possibilities, we haven’t made any peripherals yet, so you shouldn’t buy a machine based on a potential product that we haven’t made.

(There’s another feature in the electronics that we should be able to share next week)

More luck, depending on where you are in the queue. We’re going to push the start of shipping back from 12/28 to 1/3 so that we can test the final firmware a little more. We do not want to require firmware updates in the field if we don’t have to. Pushing the date back will affect very few people because our shipping model was based on a very slow ramp up.

BUT, we’re ahead of our production estimates right now so we should be shipping most machines well ahead of the projection you were shown when you bought. We’ll know the dates better next week, but it should be weeks earlier for most users if nothing goes wrong in the next few days.

15 Likes

What is the expansion port? Canbus or something different?