Is it possible to flip a STL

I have been using Carbide Create Pro to load Stl. files. The question I have is once downloaded is it possible to flip it end for end or top to bottom while moving a duplicate of the STL. ? Can I remove part of a Stl. ? I have one that has unwanted text at the bottom and no matter what I try it continues to include the text in the finish project. I have tried to slide it partially off or out of the work surface area but it still wants to carve the text in the air. thanks

When you import an STL, you can choose any one of 6 orthographic views (Top, Bottom, Front, Back, Right, Left), and you can enter an angle that rotates the selected view on the screen.
If you have a vector selected when you import, it will fit the STL within the selected vector.

So you can rotate the object, but not mirror it.

The vector you select for 3D toolpaths is a boundary. it will only cut the 3D shape within that boundary.
So you can create a boundary that doesn’t include the text area & it won’t cut it.

1 Like

You can use Microsoft 3D builder to flip/rotate if the available CC options don’t get you what you want.

2 Likes

thanks Tod, I will give it a try.

thanks Cullen, I will check out if Microsoft 3D builder has a Mac version. I need to flip the STL.

Following up here on this thread as I am researching Carbide Create Pro. If I import a guitar body as an STL that has pockets on the top for pickups and pockets on the bottom as well for electronics, is it easy to do a flip of the STL. It is not a simple outline cut, it is a model with 3D shape and body “relief” on the top (similar to a Les Paul), so I can’t just use an outline cut on both sides. Looking for an easy option that will allow my class to design in OnShape and export to either KiriMoto (free, but tricky) or Carbide Create Pro. Looks like KiriMoto can do this, but not sure if it will be hopefully easier in CC Pro?

Yes, You would do this in two files, or separate them spatially in a single file.
You import the top as a “Top” view, the the bottom as a “Bottom” view as a separate model.

The 3D “body relief” and the arch top (If it has this) are 3D elements. The pockets should all be 2D and you will want to use 2D toolpaths to get nice clean edges, especially where the pocket edges can be seen (neck pocket, pickup pockets.)
Ideally you would want a STL model without the pockets, and only cut the 3D contoured/sculpted shape with 3D, then use 2D paths for all the pockets and the outside profile.

1 Like

For some further details on making a file for a guitar body see:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.