Is the Hitachi M12VC a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1547062904&sr=1-1&keywords=Hitachi+M12VC

I will soon be purchasing a S3 XXL but I was thinking about going with this Hitachi M12VC router because it has a dB of only 79.5, super quiet, and it can take .5" shank cove bits. What do ya’ll think?

Will it fit the stock clamp on the S3 XXL?

The body is 82.56mm wide, too big for the stock mount, which is 69mm. There are mounts available to be purchased from aftermarket sellers, but I would think the weight of the thing (~7lbs) would be too much for the stock Z without some modifications. You might need a Beaver HDZ to carry the thing.

1 Like

The Makita should be as quiet at equivalent RPMs, has an optional 3/8" collet, and is 65mm in diameter so will fit in the stock mount (with the included adapter).

This seems to be quite a bit larger than 69mm in diameter and heavier as well.

I don’t believe there are any routers which accept 1/2" shank collets which are 69mm in diameter.

1 Like

I have the Makita router as the spindle in the Shapeoko and I’ve been impressed with how quiet it is compared to my other routers. It also has a lot of power for the size and liked it so much that I bought a second one to be used as a hand held router. I would recommend the Makita for these reasons and unless it has incredible features you cannot live without, I would not buy anything but the Makita or Dewalt in order to ensure you would not have unique issues and get support from the community if you have any.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.