Is this workbench good enough for the HDM?

I’m having a hard time finding a sturdy table for the HDM, came across this one and was wondering if it was good enough, or does anyone have any suggestions on a better purchase? Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-W-x-51-in-D-Standard-Duty-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Top-Full-Length-Extension-Table-in-Black-HOTC4609B15M/312063241

1 Like

I know a guy with a SOPro XXL on one of those and it works well. The HDM weighs a lot more though. I would suggest replacing the casters with one that lifts the caster to sit on a foot. Locking casters still rotate with force.

1 Like

Some casters lock in both directions. Some only lock the rotation of the wheel but the wheel can still rotate around. I always try to get casters that lock in both directions. As Josh suggested the ones that actually lift up with a foot make the cabinet very steady. The stock wheels are two fixed which have no locks and the rotating casters may or may not lock in both directions. So if you use the stock ones make sure the rotating ones are pointed 90 degrees from the two fixed and lock them in place. I had an XL on the little brother of that and it worked quite well. The drawers are handy but if possible have the drawers at the back to give you access to the front of the machine. However if the table is up against a wall that is impractical. I hate kicking the base when stand at the front of the machine.

One more place to look is at openbuilds. They have some aluminum to build a base out of. The price is competitive with your Husky table.

1 Like

Tomorrow I should receive the 54"x54"Rockler Rock-Steady bench kit I ordered for a Shapeoko 5 Pro. The system has the ability to build a great size table for a HDM. Add a butcher block top and your good to go.

1 Like

On the subject of making tops. The cheapest way is to make 2x4 tops. There are two orientations. The first is the 3.5" across and glued together. This works but is prone to bending because you only have 1.5" of height. The other orientation is the 1.5" across with the top being 3.5" thick. This is much more robust but requires more 2x4 material. Plus if you make a 2x4 top you need a planner and a table saw to make the pieces square and uniform. The typical lumberyard 2x4 pieces are inconsistent in both directions. So you need to run them through a planner to get them to a uniform thickness and then run them through a table saw to cut off the rounded edges.

You can just glue them up and clamp or you can make a jig and drill a hole in 2-3 places and use a threaded rod through them to keep them tight. You still need to clamp them upduring glue up but the threaded rods help keep them from bowing.

I made an assembly table by gluing the 2x4 up with the 3.5" across and it has bowed over time. So eventually I will remake with the other orientation or maybe buy a butcher block type top. I saw a pretty good size one at Lowes the other day that was the butcher block style. I did not look too close but I dont think it was maple. You could look at Lowes for what they have available and sizes to save time. Usually you trade time for money buying off the shelf pieces.

1 Like

Sway

The Husky tool box you have in mind will be great for storage of all you accessories for the CNC but not good for the actual table to support the CNC.

Drawbacks…
The folding table in the rear will always need to be collapsed before you move the machine around.

The 51 inch height will be way too high for you unless you are 6’9" tall and will be very hard to reach the rear of the machine from the front.

Not all the wheels lock and if you changed the wheels to something that will work you wont be able to get to the wheels under the rear work surface easily.

Here is a comment from another post

Think and plan is the key to setting up any work area. You will need more room (work surface) than you think, plan for your laptop, tools while in use, dust collection and electrical power are just a few.

There are many options out there.

Anthony

1 Like

I looked at the Kreg for my SO5Pro and went with the Rockler. The Rockler uses slightly thicker steel for the horizontals. It also has more holes on the legs to use to box in the base to keep the bench from racking. Oh… and it was $200 cheaper. :smiley:

I am planning on using the Lowes project board panels that are 1.5" pine glue-ups. I planned on Unistrut to go perpendicular to the grain. I got the legs short enough I may just do a semi torsion box.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.