Issues since upgrading to latest software

I’ve got a Shapeoko XL, a BitZero v1, and a Bitsetter. I’m running the latest versions of Carbide Create (514) and Carbide motion (521) on a Mac osCatalina (10.15.7).

I had no problems with VCarving or advanced VCarving until I recently updated to these latest versions of create/motion. I’m getting carvings much deeper than they should be. For example, in the image below the “9” was set to have a max depth of .15", but it measures .25" deep. With large letters like this one it still turns out OK, but with small letters or images it wrecks the image.

I’ve checked belts and eccentric nuts are tight. I zero the bit out prior to running the jobs.

Just not sure what I’m doing wrong… any advice on how to trouble shoot this?
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.43.25 PM

Hi @cpshort,

Could you upload the g-code you used for that run ? To double-check whether the problem is in the generated G-code, or in the zeroing/bitsetter procedure at runtime.

1 Like

Also please post the .c2d file.

Test File.nc (188.0 KB) Test File.c2d (1.1 MB)

1 Like

Another image of some VCarved text that went too deep. Included in the g-code and .c2d file I uploaded above.
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 12.57.58 PM

1 Like

The G-code looks ok, driving the endmill(s) down to -0.15" deep, so it must be a zeroing issue or BitSetter problem or Z axis slippage between the clearing pass and the Vcarve.

Does the clearing pass with the square 1/8" endmill cut at the right depth, or does it already cut the extra 0.1" ?

1 Like

the 1/8" endmill also cut to .25" (.1" deeper than expected). The cuts are quite clean and the z belt is tight. It doesn’t look like previous occasions where I’ve had messy results caused by loose belts or eccentric nuts.

Ok. How precisely do you set Z zero ?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.