Jogging - jumping two steps

Hi All, I’ve noticed that when I try to zero the Nomad quiet often it will jump two steps as I jog. So, if I’m trying to move at 0.025mm on a single mouse click one press on the mouse often results in a 0.05mm move. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, but ONLY when I use the touch screen (MIcrosoft Surface Pro 3). If I use a mouse, just single movements. If I use the Microsoft pen, just single movements. It is only when I use the touch screen it will move twice as far (every time).

2 Likes

How strange, I’m using my mouse pad, sometimes it moves by the set amount, other times it moves twice as much!

Does it move twice as far, in a single movement.
Or do you hear it make two distinct movements?

I’ve noticed both, the problem I have with the Microsoft touch screen results in a single movement that goes twice as far. I also have the random (1 in 20) times where a single click results in two distinct movements. My theory is this, when the math in the software results in a number that the stepper motors can’t actually “do” the machine responds by moving twice. I noticed that there were certain values (talking the true/reported coordinates in carbide motion) that the machine would always step over.

Yes I agree with you, I think it’s possibly a rounding issue.
I press one click and I hear 2 distinct moves, it’s also evident from the x, y, z readout that the machine has actually moved two steps. It’s quiet annoying, especially if my zero point sits directly over where the machine will not do a single step, it results in me not being able to position the cutter directly on the zero

There is a guy doing a zeroing tutorial on YouTube and he also mentions it happens with his set up…

I experience this too, but much less often with a quick stab on the keyboard of the < and > keys (technically the comma and fullstop keys).

The current carbide motion supports also supports arrow keys for X and Y, but for me these work only after you’ve clicked on these buttons on the screen first.

1 Like

I’ve had this happen on my Nomad and SO3. Tracked it down to a slow computer buffering I think. Haven’t had it happen with my RCA Cambio on either machine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.