Jogging vs Running

Nope, not a fitness question…

Is there a full correlation between where the machine can be ‘jogged’ to and where the machine will actually cut when running a project, please?

I appreciate it can’t be ‘jogged’ to the extreme limits, as it can when you push/pull along the X and Y axes, because the limit switches are installed to prevent an impact, but I was jjust wondering.

What triggered this question was I wanted to test how far above the baseboard the bit would go down to (15mm) and how high (110mm) - which begs the question, Why have I got a 36mm (2x 18mm) wasteboard?

As I’m generally using 1/4" or 1/8" bits of a reasonable length, I think using a wasteboard this thick is actually limiting my working height quite dramatically, so I think I may remove the ‘spacer’ board.

Of course, if I start to do projects requiring the use of very tiny bits (In my naivety, I persuaded myself in to buying a set of end mills, including a 1.5" long, 1/32" fishtail with a 0.2" DOC, with no idea if I’ll ever use it!) I could add a spacer board then.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or have I completely missed something here?

Thanks

I’ve taken advantage of cutting area beyond the jogging area by setting up the project to have the origin at the center, then I’ve drawn in a box which shows how much further than the centered origin the machine is able to move and done the design w/in that box.

Alternately, you can temporarily adjust the Travel Dimensions to larger than the machine would accommodate and (carefully) jog to the limits of physical machine motion.

Ah, that wasn’t what I was trying to find out, as I have no intention of exceeding the default limits of the machine!

I was just trying to find out if the bit-accessible area of the jogged limits are the same area available for cutting, so my guess is: Yes, it is.

Thank you

No, one can move the machine beyond where one is allowed to jog when cutting — there’re a couple of mm of space left for clearance (depending on how one configures homing switch pull off and Travel Dimensions).

1 Like

Understood, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.