Joining .gcode files together

I have 4 .gcode files, each 3-4MB in size, arising from Vectric 3D paths and without Aspire, I can only have a single STL model per file.
Cutting the 4 parts will all be from the same slab of cast acrylic, all arranged to have the same job centre reference. Am using @neilferreri’s post-processor config. No BitSetter, only a Probe in my setup.

Given that I can’t output a single .gcode file for all 4 roughing cuts, is there an easy and bullet-proof way to join all 4 .gcode files together and CM see them as one continuous sequence of work? I have roughing, finishing, fine feature finishing, drilling and profiling to do - and I would really like an ‘all at once’ preview of each job (Camotics, UGS or whatever) to double-check I haven’t messed up the file joining.

Dupe all 4 files into a folder

• edit the first to remove the post-amble
  • edit the middle two to remove the pre-amble and post-amble
  • edit the last file to remove the pre-amble

concatenate them.

Further notes on this sort of thing at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/FAQ#Continuing_a_cut_which_is_interrupted

My inclination would be to just cut the jobs sequentially though — easier, and it give you a chance for a break from monitoring the machine, and if need be, a chance to adjust the cut.

I would combine the STLs into one and then generate the paths. Otherwise, as @WillAdams noted, you’re running them sequentially anyway without a lot of hand editing of the gcode.

@WillAdams Thanks for the tips on this. I kinda agree with the ‘take a break’ sentiment… it’s just that I suspect I am less reliable than my 3XL and CM and can just foretell picking the wrong file and screwing up previous cuts…
Will read up on your link

@neilferreri Hmmm… I wonder if I could conjoin the STL files. Each has a different mid-plane height in the model (Vectric topic to minimise under-cut truncations), but with some care I might be able to get the mid-planes all set to the same level. Let’s see how flexible OnShape is…

If you’re using Windows you can use Microsoft 3D Builder to combine 3D files.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.