Just pulled the trigger Shapeoko XXL CNC Router Kit What spindle upgrade to consider?

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help.

So I followed step 1. no output on the PWM. Then I moved to the PWM on the plated hole below and I have signal! Everything was set back up, (still getting spindle turning on when VFD starts at this point) I ran M3S12000… and nothing.

Back through the settings, I made it all the way to PD073 and realized I had that set to 100 which from what I understand should be the minimum frequency for a water cooled spindle, but wasn’t an issue when I was doing manual control. I guess that was a conflicting input with data from CM. Changed it to 0 and Wallah! Spindle Control!

Thank you again so much for the help @Julien

1 Like

OK, I finally have my 2.2kw spindle installed. I did try it with 3600 at PD144 and 1 (60hz) at PD176. My displayed RPM was way off from my actual spindle RPM as checked with tachometer. I changed PD144 to 3000 and the readings on the VFD display and the tach match identically. The only minor issue is when I set the spindle speed to 18,000, I’m actually spinning at 18,230. I can live with that.

2 Likes

That’s a no-load speed and the speed will drop linearly with applied torque, this is how the motor regulates the power draw based on load, the more the load slows the spindle the more power it can draw, until it stalls out.

I’m unsurprised that the clock on the HY VFD is slightly off :wink: