Just quit during a job? Pro 5

Hey everyone. Got my new 5 Pro and been working great. Got the new board after the first one was faulty.

This morning when I went to start my job the spindle didn’t turn on. It’s the upgraded VFD from CC.

So re booted everything and things seem to be going fine but then mid job it shut down again and when I tried to re connect I got this on the screen.

Any ideas or help?

Please send the file you are cutting in to use at support@carbide3d.com and let us know the specifics of your electrical setup and we will try to look into this.

Usually, this is EMI, but the SO5 Pro was engineered to make this much less likely.

Not the file :slight_smile: as it does cut. I am doing a second one agin now as we speak and no issues. Vfd is on it’s on 20Amp circuit and plugged into the wall directly and the workstation and controller for the Machine is plugged in through a surge protector and on its on 15 amp circuit. Nothing else hooked to these as I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to overload the circuit.

Dust collector is on a totally different circuit as well. I built the shop last year with all in mind.

The question about the file is whether it has high tooling engagement which seems to be one of the things which makes EMI disconnects more likely.

You may want to consider an EMI filtering surge protector such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0985W4YLC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I tried to get that one here in Canada. Do you have a suggestion of one I could purchase in Canada?

I was able to get these :). Just ordered 2 one for VFD and one for machine and workstation.

Fingers crossed this will help in the future :slight_smile:

If you haven’t done so already, an antistatic dust hose for your extractor with the metal wire through the hose grounded can help in reducing static and thereby interference too.

1 Like

I had the same quit in the middle of a file on my SO4XXL. After research, I placed my entire setup on an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), which has saved me on a few local power outages. In addition, I ran a well grounded copper wire from inside the dust hose around the outside of the hose to ground. No premature quitting problems since.

2 Likes

OK, I’m a little flustered right now.

Running a test run for monograms on two stove top covers. So far I have not been able to complete the test due to the machine “Shapeoko Pro XXL” has lost connection and stopped feeding and just running in one spot.

Not in the same spot, not even the same tool.

Never had this happed previously. Can someone guide me in the correct direction to stop this from happening? PLEASE?

Usually when this arises after a period of successful operation it’s the carbon brushes in the router — check/change them?

Other frequent culprit is humidity due to changing seasons.

Next is a heavy load on the same circuit — refrigerator?

How do the brushes cause the machine to disconnect but have the router continue to operate?

My garage is on a separate circuit than the refrigerator?

It’s getting colder here with minimal humidity.

All I know is, so far is it is running up to this point with no issues. Knock on wood, stick a horseshoe in my pocket, pull out my rabbit’s foot and currently looking for a leprechaun.
Currently out of Lucky Charms. :man_mage:

Worn or damaged brushes don’t mate to the armature sufficiently. The larger and/or irregular gaps between the brushes and armature causes arcing and produces higher-levels of EMI.

HTH

3 Likes

Had this happen several times over the years, easy check would be to turn on router and look at top of router, any minor sparking wont shut off the router but will cause a disconnect. Which in my opinion is a little over sensitive however better to be safe than sorry. Also if the armature is damaged or bearings are starting to go it has the same effect. I ended up ordering armature replacements from ereplacementparts.com. as i could get 2 armatures for the price of a new router.

3 Likes

Figured it out. The wife had an extension cord plugged in to the outlet and had the fridge AND freezer we have in our garage. Ugggggggg. Took it all off of the circuit and the vfd and spindle are all by itself on a 20 amp circuit and working like a dream!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

4 Likes

I find it odd that an EMI field from bad brushes is effecting controller connectivity. I also operate a CNC Plasma with an 85A power supply, now that is an EMI field, yet I have never once lost controller connectivity. This leads me to believe there are some serious design flaws or corner cutting of the Sapeoko electronics.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.