Keepsake Box - 4 Star General

I wanted to share quickly, the latest keepsake box I made. It was a gift that I was asked to make from a very senior leader within the Space Force to make for a 4 Star General. It was given to him last night, so I was comfortable enough to post some pictures today.

The main box is made of Big Leaf Maple and Ziricote for the inlayed splines. The Big Leaf Maple panels were cut to match the grain for each side, to achieve the infinity grain around the box. The top of the box is Quilted Kosipo and the stars are Curly Maple, each piece was laser cut and sand shaded for the beveled effect.

The name on the box was done with the Shapeoko prior to assembly and gluing.

The leather was laser engraved.

Total pieces to assemble the box was 104 individual pieces.

Total hours were around 50 hrs. I just had enough material for this, and due to the short timeline, it was a 1 shot to get it right for delivery. Nerve racking to say the least. The pressure of doing something for your bosses…bosses….bosses….bosses…boss, is very real and can induce simple tasks into extremely difficult and nerve racking operations.

Rubio Monocoat for the finish.

Cheers!

35 Likes

Another great gift ! I’m always amazed at the detail you take on these projects. I’m sure he was impressed even though he and all the other bosses will never know how much work is involved in making it, you should be proud of your work !
Scott

2 Likes

I like this box. Great work.

Anthony

1 Like

It’s an amazing piece with a lot of attention given to detail. I am sure the pressure you felt stems from the extreme importance of the service this General, you and many others like you have given for years of your lives. It’s a beautiful piece that I am sure will bring this man proud memories of his service each time he looks at it.

3 Likes

That’s something he will cherish forever. The thought, skill, and heart that went into it is what makes it an awesome gift.

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Outstanding work, love the infinity grain

1 Like

That is a thing of beauty! Nice work!

1 Like

Lovely work! So many meaningful features to “discover” as you move through the piece. Really nice.

1 Like

Wow. That is amazing. You are quite an artist.

1 Like

Beautiful work and some really nice wood choices. The attention to grain direction is incredibly pleasing.

1 Like

Remarkable craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

I love the faux box joint inlay. It stands out really well against the maple. Did you cut the pocket for the star inlays on your router, or laser?

Wow, excellent job! I’m sure a little nerve racking but excellent craftsmanship.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.