Kill CC "Snap to Grid" Always/Forever

Possibly one of the Carbide Guys can help me Kill CC “Snap to Grid” Forever! It seems like every move I make it gets rechecked again and then you have to zoom in to eliminate it. I guess some may prefer having this option so possibly you could make it an option and not a default, I personally don’t need and it is constantly slowing me down on drawings.

1 Like

I can’t quite figure out the snap behavior. Even when it is off it sometimes acts like it is on. And when it is on it sometimes snaps and sometimes not. Maybe if you grab a center or vertex it snaps but anywhere else on the vector it doesn’t? Is that the behavior?

It would be useful to me to have a hot key or more easily accessible option to toggle it rather than in a menu pick.

1 Like

I kind of figured this out a bit, because I too am generally not a fan of it being on at times. Even if you have snap to grid off, if you select a node, it will snap to another node regardless. Hope that helps.

If I’m drawing squares, I like the grid snap on. If I’m tracing something I like it off.

I always zoom in to manually align it most times anyway

It is definitely a love-hate relationship

Add to the problem that I like my tool pads in metric, but do a lot of drawing in standard. that really screws up your grid alignment

It would be nice to be able to turn it on and off quickly.

Snap to Node toggle would be pretty cool. But the defaults for both should be ON.
Hotkeys would also be nice. “G” & “N” ??

2 Likes

I did a quick scan, but didn’t find it - but I know there’s a product improvement request for CC to include the option to turn off (or on, depending on your current setting) the snap with the press of a modifier key (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, CMD) while dragging. I think that would be the best option for all.

The one use of “Snap to grid” that hasn’t been mentioned here is the @WillAdams trick for perfectly aligning two shapes that you’d like to use the Boolean functions on - or two vectors that don’t seem to connect with “Join Vectors”. Snapping both to the grid lines assures alignment close enough for CC’s tolerances.

• Gary
1 Like

I would love to see an option to disable snap to grid by default as well. I rarely use it but I do use the node snap all the time. Every time I open a new project I go to build something, get annoyed that it keeps trying to snap to grid and then disable it.

1 Like

A keyboard shortcut would be nice, but I’d really like the ability to start drawing from a corner, rather than the center.

And a pony. :innocent:

3 Likes

@dwardio That one you already have! Hold CTRL down (windows) and drag…it will go from the corner

The pony is a little harder to get…

2 Likes

Ha. My daughter who takes horseback riding lessons and leases a pony now just did a PowerPoint presentation 2 days ago to try and explain why we need to buy her a pony of her own.

I would love it if I could get my CNC skills and marketing to the point that I could pay for her passion :blush:

1 Like

@dwardio However, the implementation only works for rectangles (Why? Beats me.)

@CullenS You just need to help her channel her Office skills into a consultancy gig — and she’ll earn the money for her own pony!

2 Likes

Aha! As an Illustrator user, I tried that… on a circle. Didn’t try on other shapes after that failed. :man_facepalming:t3:

As I recall, they implemented the rectangle a while ago and said other shapes will follow after they get some feedback…but, as you likely know, there’s nothing so permanent as a temporary solution!

1 Like

Hmm in this remote work world the fact that she is 11 may not be apparent so maybe I can get her a job paying enough that I can spend more time in the shop.

2 Likes

Appreciate all of the comments. As mentioned in the responses both PowerPoint, and Illustrator, which I use daily, have a snap-to-grid function that serves a purpose, but they can be turned off and stay off. I don’t need to know how to use the feature as I have used it in the aforementioned programs for decades. For the simplistic work I do in CC I just need to move things where I need to put them without fighting a Snap to anything.

Just curious - would this topic have been appropriate for the Feature Request category?

It COULD be…but I think it’s really a basic defect. If you turn off a setting, it ought to stay off and not reset the next time you open the app…That’s kind of basic expected “setting behavior” … and is the behavior of the other settings within the products CC and CM.

It rechecks itself during all of my drawings and when it is unchecked I often have to zoom in to be able to place something where I want it. It’s like an annoying fly!

It’s been over a year since I (suggested) asked about having the program start with Snap to Grid OFF… or at least save the on/off status with the other settings… CC can remember almost everything about a project so it should just be an addition line in the default settings file (that’s what I suggested back then)

3 Likes

I am confident this is a simple fix, however, with the absence of any comment from the Carbide folks it appears they think they know more than does who actual have to use the program.