LARGE STL Files for TOPO maps?

Dear Fellow Machine Heads
I like to make 3D topo maps from the hearts of various hard woods that have fallen (storms, ice, Hurricane Ian…).
I get my STL files from ETSY and convert them to PNG files using @fenrus java script STL3PNG applications. Works great! @fenrus for president!
I have 3 new files for GA, IN and AL and they are HUGE; nearly a GB each. (?)
When I upload them to the @fenrus app, I get a note that the STL file is too short.
I DM’ed @fenrus, no reply yet.
Have any of you been down this road?
How did you convert (large) STL to PNG?
I have tried:
3D Paint Editor
ABviewer
Fusion360
fenrus STL2PNG
Online converters

I can get a PNG from 3D paint editor, but the result appears to be low resolution. Looks terrible when I add the file to CC.
I am sure that many of you are doing the same thing that I am doing, how do you deal with LARGE STL files?

1 Like

Might be able to throw them in blender to try and repair or reduce resolution on export.
Also rob reset create pro trial licenses, so you could go request a new trial and see if import stl in create pro helps things work better.

1 Like

I’ll take a look, asked for some info in DM…
there are some size limits in webbrowser style apps but … there might be ways around it

1 Like

@Radiation , thanks for the suggestion, I use CC Pro. (purchased)
can you elaborate on “import and STL into CC Pro” ?
I have not found a way to import STL directly.

Thanks @fenrus
I appreciate you looking into this.
I pretty much use your app for 90% of my work lately.
TOPO maps are a big hit and not too difficult once I get the PNG.

If you are on one of the latest versions of carbide create, Rob added the ability to import STL files in the Model tab in Version 7.
Lots of big changes in Version 7, here’s the blog post: Carbide Create V7
You can get the lastest version here:Download Carbide Create

OK,
I am on build 717, July 11, 2022.

Build 722 adds this capability… story of my life: day late, dollar short.

• (FIX) Typos.
  • (FIX) More work on STL import. 3D orientation plus depth rendering errors fixed.

• (NEW) Pro adds STL import command. (It’s not remotely complete yet)
  • (FIX) Toolpath window tab order.

I will update the SW and try again… standby.

HMMMM…
I see the capability to import the STL, very cool.
did not import.
Either my files are too big or there is another issue that I have missed.

update: I used the STL import on another (smaller) file and it worked.
I like the update, but my files appear to be too large.
still looking for a solution…

It should be possible to scale the STL file on import — if you have difficulties w/ that, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to walk through this w/ you.

sure, i will send the email.
the smaller files imported without issue, the larger files did not import.
The result is an empty “component” on the design tree.

GOOD!

BAD!

the scalable image never appears.
The STL that will not import is ~800MB
its from ETSY, i can view the files in various viewer apps.

I will send this same post as an email to support, thanks for looking into this.

Your file has 19 million triangles and we currently limit the number of 10. The next CC release will bump it up to 20 million. We tested it with your file and it works well (on a beefy computer at least).

5 Likes

It’s also worth mentioning that once a file gets over 100k triangles or so, there’s little-to-no benefit to the finished part from those extra triangles.

That doesn’t help if you’re buying an STL but you should keep it in mind if you’re the one creating them.

2 Likes

understood, thank you.
I will keep an eye out for the new build.

I’ve been working on an art-centric CAM software called PixelCNC that can handle pretty good sized STL/OBJ models (along with being able to load images/vectors into projects too). There’s a number of toolpath types on there for your relief carving, V-carving, halftones, cut-outs, etc… I wouldn’t recommend PixelCNC for anything that needs absolute precision - it’s geared more for art/signage projects and toolpaths are limited by the pixel density you specify for a project’s resolution. I have used it myself to make a few mechanical things too just out of convenience but they didn’t require +/-0.001" tolerances :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what I’m finishing up today:

Rough cut using the 2D trochoidal milling operation lastnight, after outlining the shapes with a V-carving pass (to ensure a clean edge) using the medial-axis carving operation with a 90deg V-bit:

Here’s a little V-carving my lady wanted to make for the AirBnB:

Anywho, shameless plug :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was able to carve the USA TOPO map this weekend. I used suggestions from another topic to get rid of the “flags” (tiny splinters)
The result is ok, I like it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.