Laseoko Pro Build Thread

8 Likes

Thanks for the pics! I’m loving everything about this build.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’d much prefer an 8020 frame instead of the Kreg base, but this is more of a proving concept and I believe the 8020 parts with shipping would’ve been at least two to three times more $ than the Kreg base.

8020 casters alone would be $200 without shipping.

1 Like

I imagine! IMO prototyping with non-8020 first saves time and money. Once things are together and solid, it’s easier to order 8020 once than a bunch of different orders (especially with the lead time!)

Started working on the 4U high voltage enclosure yesterday. All the logic level stuff is in a separate 4U enclosure right above.

3 Likes

That seems to contradict industry standard recommendations and practices! :confused:
From this typical(?) manual

"Laser Safety
The Epilog Model 16000 Laser System is a Class 2 laser product, as defined in International
Standard IEC 60825-1.

The Epilog Model 16000 complies with 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11, the Federal Performance Standards
for Light-Emitting Products, exceptfordeviationspursuantto LaserNotice No. 50, datedJuly16, 2001.
The Center for Devices and Radiological Health, of the US FDA, issued Laser Notice No. 50 to permit
manufacturers to classify and manufacture their products in accordance with the International
Standard.

The output of the embedded laser is fully contained. The laser cabinet has safety interlocks that
turn the laser off if any access door is opened during operation, and no special precautions are
necessary to operate the laser safely. Access doors are interlocked and can be opened without
the use of a tool. Any interlocked door that is opened while the machine is operating will
immediately stop the laser from firing."

Access panels are not interlocked and require a tool for opening or removal. Access panels should
always be installed when the laser is operating. Never operate the laser system with an access
panel removed."

Here is a good thread for you. https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=290744
I’ve used open 2KW+ CO2 lasers for 20+yrs and have no adverse effects.

As in “Anything ~1.5um and above are called “eye-safe,” but only in the sense that if they damage your eyes, they damage the corneas only, which allows for surgical replacement. Below those wavelengths, the energy will enter the eyeball itself and damage the retinas, which are not replaceable.”

I guess that smokers could argue that lungs are replaceable too.

KW range Industrial CO2 lasers have been, and are still being built as open systems. Fiber lasers are built with coated glass enclosures.
You pulled one quote from a pretty long thread with both sides being stated without sources. There are other contributing factors like spot size concentrating the scattered radiation along with the wavelength of the beam.

Can you point to some references?

Interesting, they say “The CO2 laser is a Class IV system. This means the operator is protected from direct beam contact, but the system is not fully enclosed. Normal plastic enclosures and safety glasses can be used for eye protection.” Class IV “consumer lasers” are apparently supposed to have this warning label. Do “industrial lasers”?

I’m sure they do. I’ll be back to work Monday.

Rear panel of power delivery enclosure is done.

3 Likes

Power comes in via a 50 amp circuit and an 6/3 SOOW cord.

Here is the sticker on my 1997 Mazak.

Looks like a 1.6 μm wavelength, and there is the statement about eye protection. I’ll concede that there is a warning label. I also know I have worked with dozens if not 100’s people through the years that have worked with open CO2 machines wearing T-shirts and standard safety glasses without injury from scattered radiation. I stand by my thoughts on a KW fiber laser being a different animal when it comes to safety. I’m done discussing this and will leave this thread to the OP. I’m sorry I feel like I have been part of a hijacking.
Good luck with getting your machine out there.

3 Likes

Thank you sir. Perhaps a separate thread can be made for Shapeoko laser safety :slight_smile:

I believe in safety regardless of wavelength and power, so goggles will be used; they were expensive actually and are made of glass: https://lasersafetyindustries.com/PDT-Ruby-NdYAG-Alexandrite-laser-safety-glasses

There’s a guy on YouTube who has an exposed chassis fiber laser (similar to the design of this Laseoko Pro) but I don’t think he wears goggles much at all. :frowning:

I have no idea how you could take such a risk, especially with reflective materials.

2 Likes

Here is a better video showing the power control panel sequence in action; the last video didn’t turn out the way I wanted.

3 Likes

That is very satisfying. Does the chiller have independent flow and temp monitoring?

The chiller has an alarm output via a GX16 connector for ‘ok/good to go’ signal reported to the DSP, otherwise no photons shall be excited.

1 Like