Laser hookup on XXL board

I think the connectors to hook a laser to the XXL board PWM connector are called “Press Fit Connector” and you hook the “Minifit Molex to 2 pin connector” to the 2 pins according to jTech.

My question is, what crimping tool do you use for the Minifit Molex connector to crimp wire to them and do you solder the 2 pins to the board even though they are “Press Fit”? I’m concerned about the press fit connecting with the XXL vibration.
I did a Google search for a tool and found some but not sure if these will crimp the Minifit Molex connector.

I’m not buying the jTech kit, trying to do this as a DIY.

I hope I’m clear on this.

You really don’t need a tool to crimp the molex connectors. Just use needle-nose pliers. The longer wings crimp on the insulation of the wire and the shorter wings right in front of those crimp onto the bare wire. Use some pliers and smash down one wing at a time. That being said, the crimper that you need is called an open barrel terminal crimper. Search that on amazon and you’ll see what you’re looking for.
The press fit connector will be fine but it won’t hurt anything if you solder it in. You can even solder the wire in the molex connectors if you want as long as you don’t dump too much solder on them and prevent the terminal from fitting inside the plastic housing.

Thanks for the info…I’ll look on Amazon for it.
After seeing a good picture of the connectors, I would agree it looks like you could just use needle nose pliers to crimp the wire.

Thanks again!

The needle nose pliers do not crimp the connector. The connectors (pins) are crimped on to the wire. The pin that is crimped on the wire has little wings that stick out and when inserted into the hole in the Molex they snap in and secure the pin inside the Molex connector. You are only using the needle nose pliers to push the pin inside the molex connector. If you need to extract the pin they make tools that fit inside over the pin and flatten the wings so you can pull the pin out of the Molex connector.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.