Layered cut sign for a Christmas Gift

I just finished this fun little project. A custom Winnie the Pooh Door/Entry sign.

It’s Acrylic painted 6mm Birch Plywood for the layers, the backer board and and quote sign piece are both pine. All text is done using advanced v-carve.

This is only my 4th project with my SO5. Design and layout was the biggest challenge with this project. Specifically deciding how to break down the layer builds. Had I not ran out of time for this project I probably would have gone back to change the layering some in the design for asthetic reasons. The recipient absolutely loves the piece and isn’t bothered by the little things that seem to trigger me. I guess I am my own worst critic, lol.

Though the machining went pretty good the only hiccup I ran into, which I am sure many of you have experienced as you were learning, was remembering to reactivate the VFD controller after a tool change. A little 1/16" downcut endmill doesn’t last very long when you try to shove it through wood with it spinning. So now the VFD controller box has a new hood ornament to act as a reminder.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.