Lead/Ball screw guidance and designs

Hey friends

I upgraded my SO3 to the XXL model a while back and have been pondering what to do with my leftover extrusions.

I’ve been thinking that it could be a good opportunity to build a second machine, but using screw-driven axis instead of belt-driven, as I like to do precision work and my Nomad 3 doesn’t always have the space to meet my needs.

I know several people out there have successfully converted to screw drives, but I haven’t seen much in the way of plate designs (or what I could find is too old and 404’d)

Design isn’t one of my strong points. Anyone have any plate designs laying around that they’d be willing to share?

To build a Shapeoko is almost impossible. C3D does not sell the gantry or other parts to make a machine with left over parts. The only way to use them would be to buy a used basket case and get the parts from that source. It is not impossible but for all the hassle you could buy another Shapeoko or another brand. OpenBuilds sells the components to build one of their machines.

Another option is to add your standard rails to your XXL and make a bigger machine. Someone on the forum made an XL into an XXXL, I think the title was XL-XXL or something like that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.