LED lights for signs

Hello all! I am working on a way to make epoxy signs that light up.
I am having trouble finding the proper type of led to use. Can anybody suggest a way to learn this in an inexpensive way to try and make money?

We used to sell a project kit:

Maybe the images from that shop listing will be a good starting point?

You want the epoxy itself to be illuminated?

Got a picture? The problem with any kind of LED lighting is figuring out a way to hide the hardware without blocking the light.

How much light do you think you need? Will you need different colored lights? An experiment will quickly tell you how many LEDs you need to accent your sign and where to place them.

Edge lighting is good for plexiglass etched signs. I would imagine (without a photo) that a general backlighting setup would work for an epoxy sign. Perhaps you might involve some sort of reflective background.

2 Likes

Hmm great questions! I’m thinking of Wood sign epoxy filling the letters then backlighting behind that.

So the epoxy would be translucent?
Depending on the size, you could build it like a picture frame with the sign in place of the glass. That’ll give you space behind the sign for the LEDs pointing at the epoxy from the back panel, aimed in toward the center from the inside of the frame, or reflected of the back panel for more diffusion. If you don’t want a frame, you can make a “standoff” that you can wrap the LED strip around.
I’ve never embedded LEDs in epoxy, bit that can be done as well. There’s no adjustment if you go that route.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input guys

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.