LED Neon Sign Help - Acrylic

Complete noob here, I have a Shapeoko 4 xxl

I am trying to cut channels into clear acrylic for the led strip to sit in and silicon diffuser will slot in over the top. Using a special bit that leaves a grove on the inside of the channel for the diffuser

I am trying to do single lines text within carbide create to make something that looks similar to this:

How do I go about putting this in carbide create?

Everything I’ve tried so far doesn’t seem to work properly, i.e Lines showing up pink, can’t put a contour cut around the whole words etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Can you post the LEDs, diffuser, and the cutter so we have an idea of what you’re doing?

Pink lines are not necessarily bad. It just means the vector isn’t closed so you can’t do a pocket or V-carve path that need closed vectors. You can still use a contour path with or without offset to cut on or next to an open vector.

I haven’t seen a single line font yet that is an actual single line. They all seem to still be closed vectors just very skinny. If the tool is the exact size of the slot you are trying to cut, then you probably want true single lines, in which case they will all be pink. Otherwise you might be able use the really skinny font and do the slots with dual passes on each cut depth level.

2 Likes

Your image is of a 3D object which has elements passing over/under in 3-dimensional space.

To simulate that you would need to have geometry which allows cutting some sections deeper/shallower than others in a fashion which seems to make things pass under/over.

See:

If you’ll let us know the specifics of what you are trying to do and post a file showing where you are stuck we can walk through this with you.

Hi Tod

Its the same as the Led strip and diffuser in this video: Testing a new 2-part style of LED "neon" - YouTube

What i have managed to do is use adobe illustrator to make the font, then I have traced over the font with a single line using the free hand tool. Deleted the font only keeping the free hand version and saved that into a svg file.

Opened that svg in carbide create and it works, shows the single line writing in pink. Thats okay though as you mentioned in can just use a contour path with no offset and that should work fine as the tool is the exact size i need to make the channel needed.

The only issue i now face is that the offset vectors does not work to make a contoured line around the writing for a cutout of the acrylic. Maybe i can just draw that line in illustrator aswell and import that way.

Hi Will

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. The image is actually not 3D, the elements are all on the same level and do not pass over or under each other. This is an illusion. The silicon diffuser is cut where the letters intercept and touch each other.

I will post some more photos and my file im working with later on once i finish work.

Cheers for the help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.