Let’s talk about v-wheels

I’m afraid not, but we are going to double down that effort very shortly with a new V wheel style that is a take on my HD design and is stronger.

9 Likes

Griff
Seems most of us are inveterate tinkerers at heart. The aluminum beams used in the S3 limit what can be done by its very nature. Not knocking the product it is a beast for its price range, great value for the buck and can do more than most new users know how to do. I think you may be tightening the wheels too hard and or allowing shavings to accumulate in the groves, just something to check. Not knocking your looking to improve your machine as I have just converted the controller to a Gecko 540 and Mach 3. Gives me so much more control and I have 5 years with Mach 3 so I know what can be done with it program and V Carve.

1 Like

Thanks Bob. Good points but not the issue here. I’m confident in my v-wheel tension and cleaning procedures.
It was bad wheels. I re-organized my spares collection recently and mixed some chineseium wheels I purchase over three years ago in with my Openbuilds spares. I checked them a bit more throughly then when I first received them (read that, not at all). Not only are they not round, some are actually warped! In the recycler now.
I’m still interested in trying some polycarbonate wheels just because.

5 Likes

Just another thought, on your GHDZ the tolerance was tighter when we moved to the HD eccentric this was actually loosened a fraction.

3 Likes

Good to know xxxxxxxxx

1 Like

are those kisses :heart_eyes: :wink:

2 Likes

ha ha, characters oooooooo

2 Likes

Now giving hugs! :wink:

2 Likes

Delrin/Acetal is widely used for bearings. This explains why it’s likely going to be hard to beat for this application too. Increasing the wheel load bearing area should help though.

A downside of HDZ and large diameter spindles is that they both(?) increase stresses on the V-Wheels/guides because they increase the separation between cutter and guide. They also enable higher cutting forces.

1 Like

Interesting to know, thanks. Care to compare and contrast delrin and polycarbonate for us?

It’s odd that I’ve never broken a wheel on X only Y.

So width and diameter I suppose?

Doesn’t the provided link show the strengths and weaknesses of virtually all plastics?
I’ve only broken wheels on X and Z (on an XXL).
IMO getting away from V-Wheels is really the only viable solution. Maybe something as simple as Delrin blocks riding in tracks would suffice.
2020-01-02 Update: The video of wheels in your OP only addresses Z axis force. Torques in the other two axes are the primary problem!

1 Like

Maybe you are operating your Shapeoko above its limits for the stock configuration.

Nope. Both incidences were caused by mishaps. One occurred when the workpiece came loose and slammed into something and the other when the router unexpectedly took a high speed dive.

I actually think the wheels are well suited to the SO3. I have found it can be useful to have a weak link that breaks…

I’d love a standard and a pro model, a lot of people just don’t need anything more rigid than wheels.

I’m pretty sure my ambition exceeds my talent but I’d love linear rails all round

6 Likes

Hold my beer…

8 Likes

I thought we had entered “Dry January”, while in fact it seems this will be “Tease January” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

There seems to have been a lot of beer holding recently! Can’t wait to see what will come out of this. Maybe some more of my predictions will come to life.

3 Likes

I’m very afraid of what this is going to do to my disposable income in 2020. Might need to cut down on food :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes - I think we just need a subscription service where carbide3D just sends us a Shapeoko upgrade once a month :laughing:

2 Likes

OMG a Subscription service would be AMAZING! Take my money now!