Leveling Discrepancies on the Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x4

Hi all,

I’m hoping to gain some insights here. I thought that running a quick flattening job on the spoil board might resolve my issue, but I’m uncertain. I have leveler feet installed on the base, and my level reads 0.00 degrees—level from corner to corner diagonally. However, there are some discrepancies in spots both parallel and perpendicular to the spoil board. For context, I’ve placed some Harbor Freight mats underneath to help compensate for any minor flatness variations due to the plywood. What’s peculiar is that sometimes it reads level parallel to the board, and other times it does not, depending on the spoil board I set the level on. i.e. it reads anywhere form 0.00-0.15 degrees.

Could this cause problems? or should flattening the spoil board address my concern? I have attached photos for reference. Also, want to note in all scenarios the bubble is in between the two lines, but i am using the digital reader to ensure precision.

The table can be level with the earth. The machine can be level with the earth. If the table/spoil board is not level with the Axis you will be off.

Have you leveled your spoil board and trammed the router to the spoil board? Your machine can be at an angle (not advised) As long as the distance from a flat spoil board to the Axis’ is the same across the “X” Axis, it will then be squared.

One thing I have done is turn on CM. Bring “Z” to the spoil board, set zero on “Z”. Retract a bit, move to another spot. Lower “Z” and see if the indicator indicates a difference. Move to several locations, doing it again and again. I use a pencil to mark the differences on the spoil-board and what needs to be done so I get an idea of what I need to do.

If you have questions, we are here.

2 Likes

Yes router is trammed. Ok got it, i kind of figured this was the case, but was second guessing myself. Thank you for the suggestion i will follow back up after i run a leveling job. (Flatten the spoil board).

1 Like

Good luck with your ventures. Let us know