Long(ish) term Nomad 3 project: air rifle magazine

Started out making a replacement from 7075 for the plastic housing that came with my FX Impact. Spiraled out of control just a tiny bit, and after about 4 months of constant iteration I finally have something that works reliably. I learned a whole bunch about the Nomad 3, and prototyping in general (as indicated by Mt. Reject pictured below).

For maximum material removal rates, Datron single flute endmills seem to be the way to go. 2800 mm/min with a 5.1mm stepover and 0.25mm DOC in 6082-T6 is about the max I’ve pushed so far, and while the spindle does take it without stalling, the dimming lights definitely seem to indicate that that’s near the limit. Fun project, hopefully I can sell a few to recoup some of the broken tooling and failed iterations along the way.

13 Likes

Using a CNC machine is like eating potato chips. You cannot just eat one.

Back when my Grandson was about 10 we went to a flea market. He wanted an air gun. I told him it was junk but bought it anyway. I am a competition shooter and taught him to safely shoot and wear his safety glasses. The air gun does not need hearing protection. We worked on things together and I always had him wear safety glasses and to this day (he is 29) he still wears his safety gear. The lessons you teach children can stick to them for a lifetime. He still remembers my buying him the air gun.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.