Loose spindle and sloppy bearings in the Nomad 3 again

New spindle… took the nut off to see if loosening the tension would help the motor with the resistance.

The motor does not reach speed. The lights starts dimming when it reaches almost max before shutting down.

Anyone who is having difficulties w/ their Nomad 3 spindle should contact support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work with them to resolve these issues.

UPDATED from the video above
After some troubleshooting, adjusting, and anger… I solved this by discharging the powersupply and mainboard… Stupid of me to not just unplug everything at once. The vibrations are gone as well somehow… the new spindle is noisy, seems a bit more solid.
A bit strange to use deep groove ball bearings, but maybe the axial load is not high enough to require angular contact bearings?

3 Likes

It sounds like a reversion to the Nomad 883 Pro’s bearing configuration? Although technically inferior on paper, in practice (for me anyhow) is reliable and durable.

Fingers crossed that this lets you get some work done!

4 Likes

So just updating my situation. I changed out the spendle and it seems to work fine but now the drive belts that run the gear reduction keep popping off when I run at top speed. Are they wearing out? There is no slop in the system now as far as I can tell.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.