Losing connection to cutter during operations

I have started to lose connection between the computer and the cutter in mid operation. I have switched to a different USB port on the computer (no success), purchased a new USB cable (No success) and even tried a new laptop without success.

Any suggestions???

When this problem arises after a period of successful operation it’s usually caused by worn carbon brushes in the trim router — please try changing them — if that doesn’t work, let us know you’ve tried that at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

It might not be your case but my old controller always had a flakey usb connection. I used an adhesive backed wire tie holder to tie the usb connector so there was no strain where it hung down from the controller connection. I connect the usb connector wrap a wire tie securely but not extremely tight and then pull a little slack toward the usb connection so the connection has no weight on it and just a little push into the connector.

wire_tie_holder

2 Likes

I am think the same thing so I am replacing the usb connection.

The router is still running in the middle of the program. I just lose the link between the computer and the CNC. Gonna replace the USB connection and rework some wiring to limit strain.

1 Like

Just to make sure you are heading in the right direction, did the temperature or humidity drop in your location? As the season changes, static buildup could be more of an issue.

1 Like

A few tips to look into if you investigate disconnects:
https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/maintenance#disconnects

More often than not, grounding the spindle body AND dust collection hose goes a long way to prevent disconnects. You might be interested in this thread about grounding the machine.

But as @WillAdams said your first move should be to contact support@carbide3d.com

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.